ShcShc11

In what situations can you fall out of the harness?

their harness is "X" shaped not "H" shaped. That's way too snug,

Just curious to know why this is too snug? I wear mine this snug

I'm not that experienced with articulated harnesses, so it is more my impression that a few are over tightened. I don't think such designs intend to have the MLW pulled inwards at the chest, but other than loading the chest strap some more -- maybe it isn't a big deal, as long as one feels secure in the harness and can still move easily.

I'm not sure distorting the harness is such a good idea as fas as your cutaway and reserve handles go. I've seen mlw on rigs with chest rings distorted into fairly sharp angles when over-tightened. Maybe manufacturers or riggers can coment on how this might impact reserve procedures (forces).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I'm not sure distorting the harness is such a good idea as fas as your cutaway and reserve handles go. I've seen mlw on rigs with chest rings distorted into fairly sharp angles when over-tightened. Maybe manufacturers or riggers can coment on how this might impact reserve procedures (forces).

"I got saved by a backup device (RSL) on Thursday, August 28th. I
thought I'd relay the information.

My background:
5000+ jumps
107 cutaways (No, i don't need to learn how to pack, a lot of test
jumps and films.)
About 20 unplanned cutaways.
21 years jumping, AFF I/E, Static Line I/E, Full time instructor at Perris, AFF Course Director for USPA.

Equipment Background
Rig- Javelin, Articulated harness (Rings top and bottom), RSL and Cypres equipped.
Soft Reserve pillow
Main, Stiletto 135
Reserve- PD143R
I wear my leg straps and chest strap quite tight.

The jump:
A great AFF Level 4, the student did well, I watched deployment on the
student's canopy, and hung around to give a thumbs up for the camera. This put everything happening a little lower than usual, so I threw the main out at about 2100, as opposed to the usual 2500 since I've gotten older and hopefully wiser.

The main opened into a severe spin. There were no line twists, but I
don't know what caused the spin, as I could not see the left side of
the canopy. After the usual playing around with it, I decided to get
rid of it. My procedures are grab cutaway, grab reserve, pull cutaway,
pull reserve. I went for the cutaway handle, and to my surprise, it was
on the LEFT side of my chest.

I grabbed it, and reached for the reserve handle. It was somewhere under my left armpit. I could only touch it with my thumb, and not grab it. My theory is that a combination of the severe spin and the articulated harness allowed the handles to move so far. I had also practiced hooking my thumb between the reserve pillow and
the housing. I was unable to do it. I then pulled the cutaway handle, as I was not accomplishing anything in my attempt to find the reserve handle.

After pulling the cutaway, I continued to search for the reserve
pillow. I was unable to find it. I theorize that it tucked under the
main lift web as the harness slid back into position. That theory took
a couple of days to figure out. Being honest, I have my sincere doubts that I would have found the handle within the 6 seconds of working time that I had left. My RSL prevented me from knowing the answer.
I have since modified my rig to include a standard ripcord on the
reserve. This should also serve as a reminder that backup devices,
whether they be RSL or AAD can save your life, no matter what your
experience.

Please don't make this into a debate thread, there have been enough. I just wanted to share the experience, so people could make informed decisions.

Rick Horn
D-6277 AFFI/E
USPA AFF Course Director"

I haven't noticed that, but it could be going that way more for keeping the rig from moving around rather then falling out of the harness. I know of one Freefly team in the past that had a belly band installed so that their rig didn't move around when they were doing back flying.

Legendary skysurfer Patric de Gayardon jumbed a Vector 3 with a belly band as well.

The down side of the articulated harness is that if you don't tighten your chest strap (legstraps as well) , the whole harness can shift quite a lot and in case of a spinning mal, you might not find your handles on the place you expect them to be. That's why is really important to have a harness that fit good.
"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen