harro

Question about sony cameras

Are sony cameras the same around the world ??

IE : If I fly to america and buy a Sony TRV 950 3CCD is it going to be the same as the one I buy here in Australia ?
Is there a format difference ?

Please need the help !
Jumpy Jumpy??

I don't know what format you crazy Auzzies use but do a search on here or on Google for PAL and NTSC, these are the two main formats. It's been discussed on here plenty of times.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

It will be an NTSC cam in the US unless you specifically request a PAL model. Pal is used in Oz.
http://www.high-techproductions.com/pal,ntsc.htm
Warranty issues also apply (limited warranty in the US).

It will be an issue if you want to firewire footage amongst your chums. There may be editing issues as well. I've heard of peeps buying PAL cams in the US.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

don't buy a sony tvr 950!

they can't handle free fall footage, somthing in the chip won't stablize the image. We did try one out and were told the same by other people who used them!
----------------------
PM#290
There are some people in this world which are just like slinky's,
Totally useless but you just can't help but smile when you see one bouncing down the stairs!

don't buy a sony tvr 950!
they can't handle free fall footage

sorry for hijacking the thread, but this is untrue
if you do not know how to handle equipment it does not mean that the equipment does not work :P

sorry but i beg to differ, there has been articles in the mag about this camera, it just cannot handle skydiving. I have had talks with about three profesional camera flyers who have all tried and tested it to no avail.
----------------------
PM#290
Totally useless but you just can't help but smile when you see one bouncing down the stairs!

Ok for those of you who have used these cameras and they work fantastic, but from having seen footage from them and spoken to some camera guys who used them they are not eh best cameras for the job. There are plenty of other models with similar specs that work better.
That is only my and some other peoples opinions, but isn't that what this forum is for? to get peoples opinions!
At the end of the day you can take or leave the information given!
-------
----------------------
PM#290

There are plenty of other models with similar specs that work better

are there?;)
Sony VX/PD lines offer better quality which comes at a price ($$$ + grams)
Canon is a nice cam which just was not made for skydiving
Panasonic 3ccd is crap
There is no way 900 series are the best in all worlds, but there is hardly any other pro-sumer cam in the same price range which does better job
another question is - do we need a 3ccd quality video on everyday skydive?
I used to jump a PD100 but switched to a good old 1 chip TRV. Judges did not notice the difference, but my neck did :P.
Tandems, artwork - OK. Competition? Doubtful.
Cheers,
F.
PS. and non of the above has to do with the original question of the post :P:P:P

Whats your evidence on this... Im looking to buy a 3CCD for skydiving... is there an alternative???

:| Sony has made a 3 chip camera now for many years..... I have been jumping a VX-1000 for about 5 years.....It is a super camera but it is Big and it is heavy. :o..
(4 and half by 5 and a half by 13 !! Inches.. 3 pounds 6 ounces w/ battery...)
The current "rebirth of this model is the VX-2000.. Like many 'pro' models they have a boom mike, on a built in handle.. 3 chip ccd,,,,The 1000 uses 1/3 size "charge coupled device"
the 2000 has a flip out viewfinder....
NOW... about 4 or 5 years ago Sony came out with the 3 chip model DCR-TRV900... it was small. just a bit bigger than the "TR" series of the time... :o:)But..... Field reports from guys who JUMPED 'em were not so good....>:(:( tape flutter etc...
I looked at one ,,,way back when,,, and it was tempting... the "3 ccd " feature sorta' grabs you...[:/] ... but... it was expensive..like 1800 dollars...For a few bucks more you could GET the VX-1000...
anyway.. I suppose i can't assume that the 950 version may be questionable..:S.
but from what I read of past experiences,,,, the 900 wasn't so hot for freefall video work...:(
I'd welcome hearing a positive experience ,, if anyone has one,,