danwayland

Photo hunt: freeflying w/ a tandem

This is a video of the GK's doing some tandems. It's not drogueless but there's still some good flying. Also notice the outside cameraman carving around the tandem.

[ url "http://www.skydivebang.com/Video/Tandems/Golden_Knights_Tandems.wmv" ] GKTandem [/url]

BTW the music sucks, I guess it's personal preference

Didn't do much for me...

There was some great flying, but the video was, in my opinion, far from a perfect product. I wouldn't be happy handing it off to a tandem passenger who had just paid me $75 bucks. I get much tighter, more consistent, better framed shots belly flying them - otherwise I would freefly them - trust me!!

Maybe it's just that the music was soooo bad!!! :P

Canuck

Where did I ever say that this was given to the tandem passenger or that this was the perfect product? Dan asked for FF tandem and I'm not about to post photos or videos of drogueless tandem jumps sa it screws the tandem master.

In a normal GK tandem, the tandem passenger selects his own music when he receives his DVD. This video happened to be edited by a Russian guy who likes that music (I don't like it either)
Also, the tandem passenger gets to be interactive in his jump rather than watching the camera man fly in front of him and give thumbs up

BTW the US tax payers paid for the jump not the tandem passenger. B|

There are ways to freefly a tandem video while being interactive with the student, produce a more polished product, and maintain a margin of safety. That video did not represent any of them. An accidental main or reserve deployment from the camera man would have been a disaster. An accidental drouge relase would have similar resutls.

Just because you can fly yourself into a certain position doesn't mean it's a good idea. Attempting to recreate this video would be dangerous and irresponsible.

Holy Crapoli!

Just for clarification, I meant pics where the tandem was safely belly flying drogue out and the camera guy or tandem lurker was safely flying in a non belly position relative to the tandem. However, your, "Scariest Tandem Ever" response is also appreciated. Certainly not condoned, but enjoyed and appreciated nonetheless.

I would especially like to see somebody safely backflying relative to a tandem (or RW) without the use of camera wings or sit suit and without carving. Just hovering on their back like the tunnel rats do.

I worked on this in the tunnel over the winter with surprising success, and then was surprised even more when I found that I couldn't do it nearly so well in freefall (probably because of the rig? Or maybe because I didn't have the constant omni-directional relative points?) Anyways. It is now clear that I'll have to make many practice jumps to get this dialed in.

Anybody else have that experience with backflying. Tunnel good - freefall bad?

later,
--
Dan Wayland
http://www.danwayland.com

I would especially like to see somebody safely backflying relative to a tandem (or RW) without the use of camera wings or sit suit and without carving. Just hovering on their back like the tunnel rats do.

As you saw in the video, almost all of the Knights who fly camera on the tandem team fly on their backs as do I, Dagimp and most of the other camera men on the DZ. I usually wear my Birdman Pantz and a long sleeve shirt. I know Jake(dagimp) wears his FF suit. In fact, there is a picture in either this or last months soldier magazine, shot over Orange where the knights are just exiting their A/C and the cameraman(Windmiller) is exiting from the front float on his back in a freefly suit. You get some excellent exit shots that you can't get leaving from the step.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

Holy Crapoli! your "Scariest Tandem Ever" response is also appreciated. Certainly not condoned, but enjoyed and appreciated nonetheless.

Heysus Marimba! That's not just one, but TWO, count 'em, TWO drogue-less tandems going head down and DOCKING. can you say CRAZY SHIT?!?!?!?

whoever that is, they have huge solid iron balls.

<><><><><><>
Q: "Do you think it gets boring just flying around or is there more to it?"
A: "I've never seen a bird get bored with flight and decide to start walking instead."

Here are some pics of an FF filmed tandem done by Euphoria freefly the FF jumpers are Alec Cotten(his Mom) Grant Meekey, Gary Sweeney and Chris Guntrip all members of Euphoria Bodyflight UK it was a mothers day present for his Mom she does a tandem every year for mothers day. Vid is kewl too but a bit large for here.

Laterz

Grant

:ph34r:
Grant a.k.a "The Wookster"
Euphoria freefly
http://www.freeflyeuphoria.com

If it's back flying photos you want then why didn't you just ask?

Normal tandem jump price--------------$165.00
Normal price for video of jump-----------$75.00
Total # of jumps on this skydive---------49,000
Back flying with Tiger Woods----------PRICELESS
"Dropzone.com, where uneducated people measuring penises, has become an art form"