nacmacfeegle

External DVD burners

Spring mini project time.
I want to get an external firewire (1394a) DVD burner. Am going 1394a due to compatibility with my existing firewire setup being 1394a as opposed to the faster 1394b or USB2. I'll either buy an internal drive and shove it in a standard case/bridge combo or get something off the shelf (Lacie or similar).
Anything to look out for? What's hot and what's not?

What is good software for DVD mastering (menus etc)?

Its mostly for making video DVDs of Tellytubbies, kids programmes etc for the wee one, but I may find 'other uses' for it.;)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Spring mini project time.
I want to get an external firewire (1394a) DVD burner. Am going 1394a due to compatibility with my existing firewire setup being 1394a as opposed to the faster 1394b or USB2. I'll either buy an internal drive and shove it in a standard case/bridge combo or get something off the shelf (Lacie or similar).
Anything to look out for? What's hot and what's not?

Its mostly for making video DVDs of Tellytubbies, kids programmes etc for the wee one, but I may find 'other uses' for it.;)

I got this onewww.firewire-1394.com/sony-dru510a.htm

Comes bundled with acceptable software package (Sonic, I think).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yeah, But do you have to know which dvd "type" the end user has?

I dont recall vhs and beta taking this long to come up with the "official" format, why cant they decide on one dvd format?

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"

I've been playing with Ulead's DVD Workshop recently. You can't do anything complex (like more than one soundtrack or subtitles) but it's easy enough to use and the end results can look pretty good. You can download a free trial from the website.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Yeah, But do you have to know which dvd "type" the end user has?

The burner will burn any type you stick into it. If the end user can't read a certain type, then there's nothing the burner can do about it.

Kallend what software are you using with your burner to export. And how long is it taking ??..

I've used Sonic DVDit (came with Premiere), Roxio Easy CD and DVD (came with something) and Sonic MyDVD (came with burner).

If they are doing file conversions, they take for ever. If the files are already converted, maybe 5 minutes or less. Haven't actually paid much attention to time, I just go do something else for a few minutes.

Is there a special reason that you don't want to use a USB port instead of firewire port? I'm using an extrernal Sony DVD burner (DRX 5100UL) which uses a USB port. Works great! Software wise, I'm using Sonic MyDVD (which came with the drive) and am very pleased with it......especially at the price $300 for burner and software.
Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

"Is there a special reason that you don't want to use a USB port instead of firewire port?"

I have 3 PCs to swap this device around, all are fitted with firewire 1394a sockets/cards/adaptors etc.
Going USB2 would need two sets of interface cards.
I quite often swap external drives around the 3 systems, and just want a little more flexibility.
I'll look into the Sony though, thanks, and thanks to everyone else who contributed.:)
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Spring project turned into a summer wish, and finally, while in Singapore recently on business, I got myself a Sony external dual layer combo drive (plus and dash compatible).http://www.sony.co.uk/ShowProduct.do?site=odw_en_GB&category=CDVD+Rewritable+Solutions&product=DRX-700UL

Me likee.:)
It cost about 100 UK£.
Decent enough software came with it, Nero, but I stocked up on Premiere Elements to supplement my Premiere 6, for authoring. It all works rather well with my lowest spec system. Which is an old IBM laptop PIII 700, (lower than minimum requirements spec but hey-ho) and I did have to upgrade to Win XP from 98.

You also need big disc space to run this sort of thing, my one works okay with a Maxtor 40 gig external HD and a Western Digital 160 gig ext HD, all on the same firewire chain. It has 6 pin and 4 pin Firewire connections, my cam is on the spare PCMCIA outlet (ADS 'Pyro for notebooks' card).

It runs fine on Firewire, and USB2 (not both at the same time!), both via PCMCIA adaptors.

I'm about to supplement this with a multi region DVD recorder (probably a sony GX700 http://www.sony.co.uk/ShowProduct.do?site=odw_en_GB&category=DVD+Recorder&product=RDR-GX700) to take the feed from the Sky+ (Tivo type hard drive recorder) box, and to help archive my collection of spaghetti western tapes.
The VCRs are being retired to the bairn's play room and my den.

Just thought I'd let you guys hear a happy tale for a change.:)
--------------------

on this subject - I've noticed 5" external enclosures with usb2 and firewire available for as little as $40. I may take an older 4x burner of mine so I can make it portable to my other machines and notebooks.

Slower, "outdated" burners are cheaply available, should be able to do it for well under $100USD.

The 'portable aspect' is fairly important to me (hence all the external drives, and the laptop engine), for both work and play reasons.:)
I had to lug a complete tower system to Thailand in 99, I had to get a special shipping case made and ship it separately, which caused loads of hassle, not least with Thai customs who impounded all my gear. Now the whole kit and caboodle fits inside a carry-on Pel case.:)I know I could have done it all better by investing in a brand new Powerbook, but I don't have the budget to replace the PC gear.
--------------------

Hah hah yeah, we got probs in Thailand this year too, on the way back though, mainly because of the fact that we were "slightly overweight" LOL. Our special 60 kg/person allowance didn't quite fit the bill :S. And we all had the portable stuff too... "But the Queen of Thailand invited us" didn't get us very far in Germany unfortunately. We could get on the plane eventually but turned out they left some of our baggage behind in Germany. Expensive stuff, of course [:/]
The Thai though were very accomodating, no complaints there. But we didn't ship stuff in. Heard stories that other stuff people had shipped was usually late because of customs, and sometimes people had to pay large amounts of import duties to get stuff in...

What was funny when we came back there was the bird flue thing, but since we came in through Germany we didn't have to de-contaminate in Holland like everybody else because we didn't come from Thailand!? Whatever...

ciel bleu,
Saskia