riggerrob

SONY DCR PC109

That's the one with the docking bay right? It seems this one is going to be ideal for uploading tandem and AFF video. If it does what it says.
my .02
D

Linestretch,
If you guys are already using a SONY DCR PC109, please fill the rest of us in on details about battery life, easy of docking, ease of access to switches, which special effects features you use, which editing features you find most useful, etc.
Which wide angle lens are you screwing on to the PC109's 25mm threads?
etc.?
Yesterday, when I visited the SONY Store, they had a shiny, brand-new PC109 on display. I had never heard of this model before.
It just hit the Canadian market at CAN$1200.
The newest feature is its docking station, which off-loads 1/3 of its bulk, making it even smaller and better for handy cam. Finally a miniDV camera the size of a microDV!

The camera is brand new, so its unlikely that you'll find anyone here who knows much about them, other then what we read on www.sonystyle.com.

That alone may be the best reason to get the 105.

That said, what concerns me is that they've moved all the ports to the base unit. Generally all of the Sony PC-1XX cameras work well in skydiving, but I would make sure they didn't also move the LANC port off the camera itseself. That would suck. I can't imagine they'd do that... but who knows?

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I thought I'd pass on what I've heard about the PC-109. I've been emailing Claudio Knippel (RAWA helmets) recently and asked him if they'd considered making a d-box for the PC-109. Here's his response...

Yes, the PC 109 it´s the model that is replacing the 105, but I had a chance to take a closer look and on my oppinion it´s not a good camera for skydiving. The lens will not fit any wide angle lens model frequently used, like Kenko .43 and Diamond. Also, this camera doesnt have manual focus option, which it's bad.
Radir, the Rawa´s owner has the same oppinion about, and for this reason he is not planning to build cameraboxes for the PC109, at least for now.

I hope that helps...
Pink Mafia Sis #26

just been to sonystyle.com. and it seems like the LANC port is optional ?!? (it's marked as "accessory"). not sure about that one, since I havent really seen it yet, but it's another MAJOR point to check up on.
Be Simple, Be Creative, Bee!
Sharon.

I'm a newbie in regards to camcorder and techy stuff, but here are the differences that I can see via sony style and looking at each up close.

As far as I can see, the benefit of this camera pc109 are that it's smaller and has super night shot plus vs super night shot. Either that means the infrared light projects 20ft instead of 10, or it auto adjusts the shutter speed to fit the situation better. The disadvantage is that it's ccd rating is only 690 vs 1000 for the pc105. That means you lose detail I think.

I had one at my desk last week. I got to play with it for an hours or so. Its f'n tiny - I think it would fit in the tape transport of my PC100.

450g with battery! It has a LANC port. The filter diameter is only 25mm so most converters would only work with a stepper ring. It also has manual focus - its in the menus but still functional. Most stuff is in menus now - and they are the annoying new Sony GUI menus that make it frustrating to find anything useful.

It looks airworthy to me if a WA converter could be found. If I didn't have so many M batteries I'd think about one for my other helmet.

I took a close look at the PC109, amongst others. I ended out buying a PC105. It's a giant pain if you are mounting the camera on a bracket from the bottom. Having everything on the bottom of the PC-109 pretty muches forces you to remove the camera from the helmet anytime you want to do anything. The lens is smaller, as well, and there are (currently) no steppers. Sony makes some lenses for this camera, but they're all 0.6 (a .45 is on the way), and they're very expensive.

Great camera in other regards, though. The PC105 and the PC109 both have a one megapixel CCD (700K for video, 1M for stills) and support PRO memory sticks. They're almost the same camera, except that the PC109 weighs 3 ounces less, has marginally lower power consumption, and the I/O is on the bottom. The image stabilization is supposed to be improved, as well.

I think the PC109 would be ideal as long as you can mount it without covering up the bottom of the camera.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Sony has a Fish Eye lens in its program:
The VCL-SW04 (0.45)
The lens is for diameter 37mm, but comes with 2 adapter rings, 25 - 37 and 30 - 37.
The price is 119.99 USD
Unfortunately you can buy them only in the States and as I'm from Mexico, so they will not ship it to me...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

I looked at one at Best Buy. It did have a lanc port. I did not lool for manuel focus as I just assumed it had this. The camera is very small. It does have a 1/5 inch ccd and a small lense. Even though it still has the same resolution a smaller ccd will generally give you and image with slightly less color response per pixel. As best as I could tell from the small monitor hooked up to the camera, this did not have an impact on the quality of the picture compared to more expensive Sonys (best buy does not have anything high end). I also saw that way cool has 25mm adapter rings so they are available.

I did not lool for manuel focus as I just assumed it had this.

I can confirm that it has a manual focus. We also filmed the same scene with a PC105 and a PC109 this weekend and compared the quality on a big TV and could not find any difference.
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

Hi everyone,
I just purchased a PC 109. I havent flown it yet, but I will by the end of this month. The only footage I've taken with it has been out in the landing area videoing landings. I really like the camera. It takes great video and the docking station is sweet. You just set the camera on it to mix down the video. The station has 4 pin USB, 4 pin DV, DC in, S video, and A/V plugs on it. You don't have to connect direstly to the camera if you don't want to. While you edit the station also chages the battery. The LCD is very easy to see even in direct sunlight. The battery has abou 2hrs usage with LCD before it runs out. Most of the functions of the camera are found in the menu. There are only a handful of external buttons. As for the small lens size, there is a company that makes step rings that go from 25mm to 30mm. Way Cool Industries out of Austrailia has some excellent lenses, UV filters, and step rings for this camera. Cookie Composites is in the process of building a side mount box for this camera that should be ready by the first of June. As for a good deal on the camera itself, I found a company at www.Ibuydigital.com that sold the PC 109 for $677 (including shipping). They were very fast with the processing and delivery of my order. They had the best deal on the camera it self. Hope this helps. B|
Later

I talked to Max and Richie (responsible for the diamond lenses) while at Perris last week and they said they are going to be selling 25mm threadsize lenses soon. A plus if you decide to go with a 109.
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

Decisions, decisions ...

I finally have $1200 in the bank (Canadian list price for PC109, but not enough to cover taxes, spare batteries, extra cables, etc.) and am trying to decide between buying an HC40 or a PC109.
The HC40 (list CAN$850) will fit gracefully in a hand-mount - as I mainly plan to video my own tandem students - and it looks like it will also fit in my old Bonehead full-box helmet.
However, the PC109 looks so much smaller and sleeker and sexier and I am trying to justify spending the extra $350 bucks.

Help me folks!
Is the PC109 worth $350 more?

On the PC-109 do u have the choise to not go throught the docking station? So in other words can u just use cables? because sometimes it semes like it would be a pain caring the dock but i really like the idea of the dock.

The PC 109 requires the docking station for S video, firewire and USB. Power is not required to the docking station.

You can do AV transfers without the station. There really is no reason to be concerned about the hassle, because there isn't very much. The station weighs 2.5 ounces and is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. The PC 109 WITH the docking station is no larger than some of the other cameras.

It is worth it to me to have a smaller camera and pull out the station when needed. If I had to plug it in to power each time, I would feel different.

Ed