jose

Cheap dig. still for Tandems...

So I am going to be shooting Tandems this summer and I am looking for a small, cheap digital still that will allow me to hook up a mouth switch or some other device that will just shoot constantly like the 10D does. Of course, I would like the 10D, but dont have the cash for it, so a cheapie in the meantime would be just fine. I just dont know what to look for when it comes to hooking up shutter devices to them. Thanks.

Brad

Unless you are, or know, an electronic whiz - forget it. If it doesn't have an external jack for some type of remote you have to open the camera up and re-wire and circuit the switch. I don't know of a single cheap digital camera out there that has a remote jack. Your best bet is to go 35mm and pick up a Rebel package - they're cheap, fast, reliable, and the fact is, film is still way better resolution than even the best digital cameras.

Canuck

I agree with the resolution, but the problem is that I have to put all these stills on a CD and make the video in a matter of 10 minutes and try to sell the still's to them as well. It's hard to sell the pics when I dont even have a preview of them if I am using 35mm. If I decided to use 35mm, I would use my Elan 7. Anyone want an Elan 7 with a 28-210 zoom on it?

Thats why my DZ does not give the option. If you get video, you get a roll of stills, no need to preview this way. (This goes for tandem, one timers. Experienced can alway work something out with the video guy). Just me 2 cents :)

wow.....shooting tandems with only 262 jumps...they must do things a little different up there in Canada...you must be doing a lot of quality RW in front of the S&TA to impress this person with your flying skills. i hear you guys don't even wear seatbelts or secure the loose objects in the plane. i guess doing tandems under the required amount of jumps wouldn't be a big deal in comparison......just my thoughts.......

"Unless you are, or know, an electronic whiz - forget it. If it doesn't have an external jack for some type of remote you have to open the camera up and re-wire and circuit the switch."

I did it witih a canon sure shot 35mm. I wonder if it is possible with a digital. If I screwed up the sure shot, I was only out $35 though.

How do ya like it Johnny?

My housamate did it with his Cannon EOS (early model). Was a very easy mod... all he did was open up the camera and figure out which of the wires leading from the trigger button would cause the camera to fire (trial and error). Then he soldered a couple of wires on top of those and led them to a port he installed in a small hole he drilled on the front of the camera.

Then he simply put the camera back together and plugs his jack into the socket he installed. The camera never knows the difference between the bite switch or the button on the top of the camera, all they do is complete the circuit.

Simple £5 mod which looked totally professional.

I don't vouch that this works on your camera. My imediate concern with digitals would be whether or not the trigger is as simple as completing a circuit.

wow.....shooting tandems with only 262 jumps...they must do things a little different up there in Canada...you must be doing a lot of quality RW in front of the S&TA to impress this person with your flying skills. i hear you guys don't even wear seatbelts or secure the loose objects in the plane. i guess doing tandems under the required amount of jumps wouldn't be a big deal in comparison......just my thoughts.......

I'm scheduled to shoot tandem this summer and i'm just about 250 jumps. To jump a camera we need a "C" COP and to get that COP you need 200 jumps. After if you want to shoot tandem, you must show your flying skills. I do 4-way since my 45th jumps.

Here in Quebec, somes DZ who uses cesna don't have seatbelt but it's not everywhere.
===============================
Ourson # 5
impatient de sauter # 1

I guess a more appropriate question would be, what is the type of port that the shutter release would plug into? Is it a lanc port like on the Sony Camcorders?

From what i can gather from the Canon website the EOS 300D uses the same release switch as all the others. When i converted my EOS 1000 for use with a release switch the only reason it worked was because the EOS 35MM range use a digital release mechanism, and so soldering on extra wires simply made two switches for the same release. The female connector for the standard bite switch costs less than £1 (about $2 available from radio shack).
Because digital cameras are... well digital they MUST use a digital release, and so i can't see why this method wouldn't work for ANY digital camera.
The only thing is, whould you WANT to use a cheap digital camera? With only a few megapixels the image quality wouldn't be great and there's no chance of blowing it up. I'd have to say start off with a cheap canon EOS 35MM (always available very cheap on ebay!) Either develop the film and scan in as suggested, or just give them the roll :)

try the nikon coolpix , i think the 5000 and 5700 have a kit u can buy online to use a standard plugin that is the same as the rebel -g plugin

A friend will bail you out of jail , a REAL friend will be sitting next to you in the cell slapping your hand saying "DUDE THAT WAS AWSUM " ................

cesnas, sure. i'm talking about a king air WITH seatbelts that just lay on the floor. same with all the helmets. they lay on the floor, lap, wherever it seems to fall. sorry for the digression from the initial post but 250 aint shit and it isn't enough for tandems. how many of those RW jumps are you dodging a drogue? it's easy to fly around a tandem once you're on level, but there aren't any burbles that can actually suck you in on a 4 way. ready for that?

you know also the guy with 3000 jumps never had to deal with a drogue until he jump with a tandem for the first time. I already jump with tandem, but without camera. The DZO knows me very well and he is sure I'll do the job. SECURITY is very important for him.

P.S. In Quebec We also have King Air and Beech, and we do fasten our seatbelts until 1000 feets. Also YES we secure our helmet on you cheststrap or on our head.
===============================
Ourson # 5
impatient de sauter # 1

wow.....shooting tandems with only 262 jumps...they must do things a little different up there in Canada...reply]

What's really scary is that 262 jumps Canadian is only about 140 here in the states! (Sorry, but that was just begging to be done!)
Blue 111-
Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."