seal_S49

TRV11 lens mm thread

I don't have a thread gage or any available filter/adapter to confirm this, but it looks like my Sony TRV11 lens will accept a screw-on accessory with 30.5mm external threads. Because I need to mount a 37mm-threaded Sony x0.6 conversion lens (#VCL-0637H):

1. Can anybody confirm that a 30.5mm to 37mm step-up adapter is required for this application?

2. Do all TRV11s have the same internal thread size on the lens assembly, or did Sony change this during the production of that model?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a TRV-11 that worked great for many jumps before I managed to break it and mine had the Carl Zeiss lens with the 30.5 threads. I had to use the step up ring because my lens also had the 37. I don't know if this means all TRV-11s are this way but mine is. My Current TRV (18 or 19) is the same. I hope this helps.

Cheers
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

If we're talking a descrepancy of .5 mm - then I think we just have a problem of nomenclature.

.5mm is easily the difference between measuring to the bottom of the gaps in the threadings, vs measuring to the peaks in the threading.

.5mm is approx the width of 5 human hairs.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

If we're talking a descrepancy of .5 mm - then I think we just have a problem of nomenclature.

.5mm is easily the difference between measuring to the bottom of the gaps in the threadings, vs measuring to the peaks in the threading.

.5mm is approx the width of 5 human hairs.

_Am

I heard some older Sony models had 30.5 threading, all newer models with the small threadsize are 30 mm.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

This in just the kind of "helpful" information I didn't ask for, AndyMan, but since you brought up the "hair splitting" thing, FYI:

1) Dragon2 is correct in that lens threads of 30mm and 30.5mm have both been marketed.

2) 0.5 mm = .0197", or more that 1/64"

3) .002" dia. can be considered an "average" human hair so .5mm is actually close to the thickness of 9 human hairs.

4) Although I don't have much experience with the metric system, in my former profession I have personally produced machine parts that were within a tolerance of + or - .0002" (count the zeroes)

5) If you think being within .5mm is close enough, then you can go screw a 30.5mm filter onto a 30mm lens -- I want the correct part.

For the record, I didn't say it was close enough, I said it sounded like a problem of nomenclature, and that it sounds like they're actually the same.

That said, it'd be stupid to order the wrong part from your camera. Order whatever the manual specifies.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Hello!
Yes, most of the smaller Sony's are 30MM thread. (except the PC100 - PC330 range [37MM])
I found a list from a lens manufacturer...

http://www.tiffen.com/Tiffen%20DV%20Chart%20final.pdf

And according to this the TRV11 IS a 30MM fitting (which would make sense).

A stepper ring should be a matter of a couple of $, or some of the lenses i've bought have actually come with a small selection of stepper rings (27, 30, 30.5)

Blue Ones & Happy Filming :)

If the owners' manual contained this information, I wouldn't have posted the question. If Sony could have given me the specification over the phone, I wouldn't have made the trip to the camera shop. After doing the legwork and finding my own answer, Sony called me back unexpectedly and verified the 30mm size; they went on to say that they do not market an adapter ring. Seems like a lot to go through to get a simple (but important) answer. Maybe this inf. will help somebody else sometime...

I've found numerous sources for aftermarket adapter rings and these are available in both 30mm & 30.5mm. I'll let you guess which mm size I'm going to order for this application. As for anything that might "be stupid," I won't comment on that.