Austin

Macro???

Closeups...ya don't need it for skydiving, unless someone puts a nice flower in the jump plane and you want a great shot of it.

edit: just to be clear...really really close close ups. not for interviewing or anything...literally, if you were shooting a flower within inches

Its just the way the lens is setup - some lenses have Macro capabilities. yours probably does too. its not a turn-on turn-off kind of a thing. it's just that the lens is capable of focusing in macro situations.
Be Simple, Be Creative, Bee!
Sharon.

Some lens manufacturers offer separate "macro" adapters or extensions that allow a given lens to focus closer than it normally could, although I'd be suprised if you received your lens with such a thing already attached to it (might come in the same package but not already screwed together or whatever).
Are you saying that you received a separate, "macro" attachment along with your lens? Or are you looking at the lens itself?

The lens itself has a separate piece (screwed on) that says "macro" The threads from the rest of the lens are 37mm, just like the threads on the piece that says macro on it.....so I would assume that the lens could be used without the macro portion (I'm not sure yet, as I don't have a step-down ring for the camera yet).

Austin