freekfly

Anyone jumped the new Sigma 12-24mm?

Just curious if anyone out there has jumped the new Sigma 12 - 24 mm lens for digital SLR cameras?

Everyone I know that's been jumping digital jumped on the band wagon early and they all have the Canon 10D with the Sigma 15mm. But that gives you about a 24mm since it's on a digital SLR. I held out and picked up the new Digital Rebel....Same chip....same quality image....just less features, lighter and cheaper.....If I go with the 12 - 24 that will give me about a 19mm in the end.

I'm 95% sure I'm getting this lens......but figure I'll pick it up in another month or so to see if the price comes down since it's about $650. Any feedback?

-Brian

I'm 95% sure I'm getting this lens......but figure I'll pick it up in another month or so to see if the price comes down since it's about $650. Any feedback?

-Brian

Brian, I have the digital Rebel as well but with the 15mm Sigma.
In freefall I don't like the zoom lenses, more stuff to tape down to make sure it doesn't move, primes are the way to go, honestly.

It works though, you can use the zoomlenses, I know there are tons of people out there that are jumping them. Some people jump the 18-55 that comes with the Digital Rebel.

It's up to you, but I would recommend against a zoomlens for freefall photography.

For that $650 (I am sure it is not going to come down, it didn't for the 15mm sigma either) you might as well get the 15mm + another prime lens.

thanks,
Iwan

I hear you on the zoom.....I don't want it.....but doing lots of freeflying, I want to have a little wider lens. if I got a 15 mm it would translate to a 24 mm on this camera. Tough for those close up shots. But then again........it's also fixed.....

I guess it's a toss up......at this point I just have to figure out which is more important.....having the close up ability or going with something that is fixed and you don't have to gaff up every time....

hmm....

I hear you on the zoom.....I don't want it.....but doing lots of freeflying, I want to have a little wider lens. if I got a 15 mm it would translate to a 24 mm on this camera. Tough for those close up shots. But then again........it's also fixed.....

PM Peter Galli (blazetailman), he does a lot of freeflying and he uses the 15mm as well.
I don't think he is using anything that's wider than that.

24mm is pretty wide by the way, you have to fly pretty close.
Of course if you fly inside, you want even wider, maybe take a look at the 8mm?
The problem with that one is that it is a circular fisheye, which might not be very good looking :(

I haven't seen any pictures with that one on a digital yet.

Iwan

Oh wait you are talking about the 15mm fisheye. I was thinking about the 14mm that runs $799. Anyone have any pics with the 15 fisheye?

15mm Fisheye + the Digital Rebel?
Click on the link in my signature :P All of them are taken with that lens. (At least the skydiving ones from Eloy)

Iwan

There is less distortion than I expected from a fisheye. Did you correct some of these? Does it have less distortion because of the cropping effect with the digital sensor being smaller than 35mm?

Indeed.. I didn't modify these pictures, they came straight off the camera.
The distortion gets cropped off by the camera due to the 1.6 crop factor with the digital sensor

Thanks,
Iwan