neilly

transfer PAL to NTSC and visa versa

Does anyone know the best way to transfer PAL to NTSC, or Visa Versa, If I buy a camera , hopefully a PC 105 in the states where I am staying for 3 years and then go back to the UK can I save the Images on my laptop? is there a programme to translate one format to another?
Or is this only a problem if I want to burn a DVD of the files I save?

this is probably a stupid question, But then I am pretty stupid,
Fly like an aardvark

What a pain in the ass huh. A guy I work with had the 300+way in PAL, and wanted it in NTSC. Another jumper here put it on his Sony VIO (whatever it's called) and then exported it back out as NTSC. It worked, but the quality was a little less than the original. And on the TV, there was slight border around the screen. Try this and see that you get.
my pics & stuff!

if you are staying for three years buy the ntsc camera
its cheap enough especially with the uk / us exchange rate and in three years consider selling it before you leave and upgrade
its not worth the hassle having anything else other than ntsc in the us

if you burn them to dvd there should not be any problem when you go home

take all your ntsc tapes back to the uk with you they will play in a pal dv camera anyway
use adobe premier pro to convert the lot into pal
"When the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

that sounds like what I plan to do freeflyer, , the only question I have is that you said burn DVDs, but wont they be burnt as NTSC region DVDs on a US spec DVD burner and not PAL region,

or do you know of some software I can use to translate the recording and burn it,

cheers
Fly like an aardvark

On a Mac, in iDVD, you set the preference to PAL and the program will create all subsequent DVD projects in PAL. When you've burned your project, you just switch it back.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey