clint

DVD Recorders for skydiving

I'm going to buy a DVD Recorder next month so I can offer DVD's to the students.

Last summer my dz used a panasonic but I don't know what model it was. They have come out with a few more.

A few issues that happened to the dz last summer.

Lots of call backs saying that their DVD didn't work in their dvd player.
Certain models wouldn't play their dvd. Is this because of the DVD-R or DVD+R or CD-R or CD+RW, etc.

I forget what he used and he's in South Africa right now so I can't ask.

Also, Formating the disc. After we were done recording we had to format it. His took around 30sec to a minute.

His broke for awhile and he had to use someone else's and it took 3mins to format.

This is what I don't want.

I want a durable one but I dont want to spend $700

I have seen several models around the $500 mark and I'm assuming that they are all good, since they are all new models but what is the BEST one for $500?

Any info would be great!@
Thanks,
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012

Yes there are some older DVD players that won't play the DVD-R or DVD-RW format. I think all the newer ones do, but I have an older one that won't. There is a list of those, that will and will not play it, somewhere on the web but I'm not sure where. It might be good to keep that around and ask the customer if they know what model they have, or if it will accept that format before they decide to get the DVD.

Thanks for the info. What is the best Panasonic DVD Recorder, if you bought a Pansonic?

I asked one of the sellers for Ebay what is the best DVD Recorder and he said this to me. Do you agree?

The best quality dvd recorder is the panasonic unit. Panasonic is well
known for some of the better dvd recorders on the market today. Some of the
extra features with this unit are:
-Playlist function permits simple non-linear editing (e.g., rearranging
scene order, skipping over unwanted scenes or copying selections) without
any additional equipment
-Rapid random access eliminates the need to search for blank space so you
can record right away, anytime
-TBC (time base correction) and 3D Y/C separation on input and digital noise
reduction on playback make analog-to-digital transfers (like dubs of old VHS
tapes) look better than the original
Clint MacBeth

Clint, we use the Philips DVDR 75 at the Dropzone and I have one at home. $439, new. No issues with the one at the DZ, and it gets used heavily. 16 tandem videos Saturday, 12 got the DVD. It is what the customers are looking for.

Hi Clint,
At the Ranch we all have Phillips - some dvdr985 and some dvdr75. I have the 985 and am currently having problems with it for the 2nd time. Also Carol has gone through three of these machines while the other video personal haven't had any problems. The main problems are disc errors when finalizing, they sent us a software update which seemed to fix the problem, but now it only randomly allows me to finalize and is skipping large sections of both video and audio when I am trying to play it back.
So I personally do not recommend Phillips..... I hope you have luck with the Panasonic - keep us posted, because I think I'm gonna ditch the Phillips and find a reliable one before the season starts.
Enjoy your journey.....

Hey Kaz,

Thanks for the email. how are you? Congrats on the Deland swoop meet! We will be having a swoop meet here in the future. Don't know when but it will combine BASE jumping and Swooping together. Team events! I'll let you and everyone else know when it's final.

I am definetly NOT looking for a Phillips! I have heard other stories about them! Panasonic or Sony is the 2 choices I'm looking at.

Cajones! I have heard DO NOT use the RW's.
We used them at our dz and lots of call backs for whatever that's worth!

Thanks for all the info. So far I'm leaning toward the Pansonic E50 or the Sony GX 7.

Still would like more input from others, so bring it on!
Clint MacBeth

We use the +RW's and have very, very few call-backs/returns.

The key part is the "+" here. No finalizing required with the "+" format.

If a "+" is returned, we copy it over to a "-" format and send it back to them. The "-" format is considerably more time-consuming to make than the "+" format. In fact, it takes about the same amount of time to make a "+" format DVD as it does to make a VHS tape edit. The best solution is to have a multi-format recorder, or a "+" format recorder and a computer that can convert the "+" recordings to a "-" replacement (if needed).

- Cajones

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

The "-" format is considerably more time-consuming to make than the "+" format.

Interesting. Thanks for this tidbit of knowledge. Answers alot of questions....

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

if you haven't purchased it yet I suggest the Phillips dvdr+ 75 from "Overseas Electronics" it's about $480.00 but it will play and write in either PAL or NTSC for the overseas visitors. I have burned alot of video for my family in Italy and they have not had any problems with the videos I've sent and they can send me videos that I can watch here too. This recorder was by far the easiest to set up and run with about one days fooling around to become a pro.

Hey also Dan Oden is over here at Richland Skysports now. No you can't have him back!!!

I have yet to buy one. I really was thinking of getting the Panasonic E60 for $425 or the Sony GX7 for $505?

My friend had a Phillips and it really sucked last summer? Then I had a good friend write back about her Phillips and she hates it and here friend went through 3 of them so far?
So that's not my favorite.

I did ask a few people other than on dz.com and they said the Panasonic is the best Recorder out there. I've been searching for 2 weeks now and I'm glad that everyone responded to my questions.
Thanks to you too.
Clint MacBeth