irobertson

inbuilt flash use in freefall?

I want to use (experiment with) the in-built flash on my EOS5 in freefall, does anyone know if I need to support the open flash with extra tape to avoid 'freefall damage'? Or is the open flash unit stong enough to withstand the buffetting in freefall?
All comments / advice to this newbie stills flyer welcome.

I have not tried this but I think the 1/200 max shutter synch speed would be a problem. With a separate gun you can use high speed synch and building a mount for mine is on my long list of things to do - but I don't think the built in flash supports high-speed synch.

Someone might correct me so stay tuned.

I've used mine a few times on very low light jumps and its still attached. It made for great tandem shots just passed sunset - still enough light to see, but the pics looked like night jumps. The only problem I've had is since the still is on top of my helment I bumped the flash closed a couple times on climeout.

doc

1/200 is fast enough to stop most motion...a little blur on the jumpsuits with the main image "frozen" by the flash would look cool imo. I tried a couple of jumps a number of years back stopped right down and using about 1/8 sec shutter speed with a flash. The flash malfunctioned but the blurry silhouetted jumpers looked quite cool. I think if my flash would have worked I'd have had some great shots. You don't have to have everything stopped dead to have a good shot...sometimes blurry is good.

I attached a shot of my older son riding his mountain bike...pretty slowly actually...in the middle of a forest where I was unable to use a fast enough shutter speed to freeze his motion. I used a slow shutter and panned with him...I think it's likely a better photo. It has more dynamic than a frozen shot.

If you think of less than ideal conditions as opportunities to stretch your creative muscles sometimes you're rewarded with much more interesting photographs. I realize that if you're shooting a tandem they might not appreciate the artfulness of your approach but I offer this as a suggestion for those occasions when you might want to try something different.

A photographer I've found very helpful in learning to explore the possibilities of what is in front of you and what is available to you is Freeman Patterson. I have several of his books: "Photography and the Art of Seeing", Photography for the Joy of It" and "Photography of Natural Things".
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

Thanks to all the comments so far, it certainly helps to get different opinions. After talking to a couple of freefall photographers I really want to try flash, (the examples posted here look really cool - the mountain bike one included) but still concerned about the pop-up flash getting ripped off, and the helmet I have (2kComposites FF2 - looks like the optik but with the side box integrated to the helmet) doesnt lend itself to mounting a separate flash unit. Any ideas? May be a way to mount it on the top of the hinged box covering the video camera (?).

I have heard that the pop-up is good for daytime 'fill-in' but its still that uncertainty of having it damaged concerns me.

May have to bite the bullet and just figure out a way to fit the flash unit. Any advise on what to go for?

Thanks
Keen but concerned

my experience:

I use the pop-up flash on my Nikon N70 all the time...freefly RW, whatever. The most precaution I have ever taken is i roll up a small piece of gaffer's tape, and lightly wedge it into the part where the flash pops up. then I put a piece of tape over the whole thing to hold in in place.
but that is a nikon, strong and sturdy!

jeff D-16906

I have the same camera. Great for tandem shots. The built in flash is only good upto 15ft. It will only shoot 1/90. The picts are ausome. You have to be still to take the good clear shots. ANy movement
will make the picture blurry.

I have used the built in flast maybe 8 times in the past 2yrs and no problem now. Yes you really have to be carefull climbing out of the plane.
I just checked it right now and it still is sturdy and doesn't move around that much. OF course it's going to put some wear on it, it's 120 mph but so far so good.

I do have to say that I was sit flying while doing tandem videos and that the wind is coming up from the back of my helmet and it would seem that it would try and push the the flash down but it's still working. On your belly I think it would be fine!
Head down, NO!

I would say go for it but don't do any radical moves or turns on your first one so that you can build up your confidence that it works@

Have fun!
Clint MacBeth
Skydive Moab 435 259 JUMP
M.O.A.B. Mother Of All Boogies Sept 19 - 23, 2012

I have not tried this but I think the 1/200 max shutter synch speed would be a problem. With a separate gun you can use high speed synch and building a mount for mine is on my long list of things to do - but I don't think the built in flash supports high-speed synch.

Someone might correct me so stay tuned.

I don't skydive with a camera and flash anymore, hell, I don't skydive anymore for that matter, but I think most internal, or pop up flashes now days sync at whatever the camera's flash sync speed is.
The question is would the photos be worth taking a chance of getting the pop up flash broken off in freefall.

And the part about high speed sync with a seperate gun is almost true, if I'm understanding it correctly.

Just because you buy an external flash for your camera does not necessarily mean it will sync at high speeds. i.e.. 1/500, 1/750, or 1/12,000.
Only if your system supports high speed sync. An example would be most of the newer Minolta series cameras.
So in that respect, you are limited to slower sync speeds regardless if it is internal or external flash, unless you have a system that supports it.

I believe in the old days, you know, the 80's (:$), they were only able to flash sync at 1/60 of a second. Now days, 1/200th of a second is slow.

cya
Rod

Yup, my helmet setup is virtually the same as the picture posted by 'linestretch' (nice pic), except the video camera on my setup is totally enclosed with the box hinging at the top to access the vid.

I think I would have to do something like the picture to attach an external flash unit. But just done a bit more digging and it looks like the EOS5 does not support high speed sync anyway, so pop-up or external - 1/200th looks like it is the fastest possible - if anyone else knows different please let me know.

Re-charge time for the pop-up is approx 1 shot every 2 seconds so would have limited use for tandem work but could be used quite well for RW.

Ah well, thought I was buying a stills camera to see me good for a while, but already found a limitation.

Loads of good info in the replys, thanks to all the advise and looking forward to reading any extra info that follows.

Clint,
I have tried the camera on the ground, just snapping away withhte flash and it shows 1/200th shutter speed, bit unsure why you have same camera but only get 1/90th. Is there something I am missing or not doing that i should which will result in a lower speed.?

Yes, my normal flying position is belly, but aiming to progress to do sit this season for camera.