AirMan

Which Lens to use...?

I'm a new videographer, and I want to know what lenses you guys/gals are using? I bought a Sony DCR-PC9 cam w/ a 30mm mount size. I ordered a Kenko 0.5 W/A lens...Is that a good lens for shooting RW and Tandem? Do I need a .45? What are some other good brands? Thanks!

Thanks for the quick responses and the good advice. My worry is I think I bought the cheapy Kenko W/A lens...the MD-05W! I've noticed everyone else speaking of the SGW HI/Pro series. Has anyone tried this MD-05W?...Should I just throw it away now? Haha! Also, I worry since I will have to use a step-ring (37mm to 30mm) for it to work, and I've been reading these rings can cause their own problems?! Thanks again!

For videoing tandems I would go with a Diamond 0.4 Diamond lens. I prefer the low-profile lenses from Diamond as they reduce snag potential.

Contact Max Cohn at generationfreefly.com

Yea, I went to Royal-Lens.com and checked them out! They look very nice...I like their low profile. But for now I'm looking for a little less expensive lenses. Everyone talks about Kenko, but what are some others? (besides a Sony brand).

If you're going to be shooting Tandem/Aff video, it's not about which lens you use per se, but the question you want to be asking is Which lens is compatible/comparable to my still camera lens? Or which still/video lenses work well together?
That being said, I use a Hama .45 video lens with a 24mm (non-digi) SLR lens. They match each other pretty closely.

you beat me to the punch. I use a .5 and a 28mm for the SLR. They match almost perfect. I don't have to worry about being too close with video, and the stills coming out way too friggin close. I like this way of thinking. But a wider angle lens is even better for freeflying, like the .45, or even wider. I use the .5 for filming 4-way also.
my pics & stuff!

Im surprised this hasnt been brought up yet, But with W/A lens its not about which one is better. They all do the same thing just in iffrent variations, Its more of which you are more comfortable with. A .3 lens is very wide which means you will have to be right on top of things for it even to look good. A .5 less wide, just means that you dont have to be as close.

You said your planing on doing tandems..ok if you think you are comfortable flyint on you back under then tendem at an arms length away...then a .3 is great for you. If you think you would feel better on your belly, set up below, a little further away...then a .5 would be better.
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

My worry is I think I bought the cheapy Kenko W/A lens...the MD-05W!

I've done near 90% of my camera jumps with that there lens. Works like a charm, and has beautiful quality, plus they can be had for only about $27.

I have found that they seem to be a little less wide on the PC style, than the TRV's but it's easy to adjust your flying to suit.

I have one of the first Diamond .3's tha Max ever sold, and while is fun for some creative stuff (belly mounts) I find it limiting, and there is a noticable reduction in quality in low light situations.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.