prost

External Flash

Oh, I win on this one.

Haven't jumped it yet cause I'm still putting together the assembly with a machinist friend.

Two 550EX's, on in Master mode, one in Slave communicating wirelessly hooked to my Canon 10D. Both hooked into a Quantum Turbo 2X2 flash power source allowing the flashes to operate at the same rate as the camera, 9FPS burst. Together they give me enough light to operate them at high speed synch and still get full fill-flash.

Hanging out with McGowan makes me spend money.

That and Gasson's "coolest helmet in the world" helmet.

:S

ooooooooooh aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

now that's cool! I wanted to add flashes... but there's no use getting flashes now that i don't have any cameras! :S

greg's helmet is the bomb. are you getting help from his machinist? i would like to go that route someday...

peace
lew
http://www.exitshot.com

Oh, I win on this one.

You sure? I've actualy put jumps on mine!:D

Seriously, I'm running one Canon 550EX flash unit on a custom made Bonehead Composites bracket (THANKS GUYS!) powered by a Quantum Instruments Turbo Z. I've run two flashes before (SunPak) and didn't find it worth the extra weight and real estate.

You really need to change your mindset when you add the flash as to what shots are possible.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Okay, when can we see the pictures of this new rig?
You've described exactly what I'm planning to do.
I don't have the 550's yet but I'll get them ordered soon. Did you need to do anything special, or need any special equipment to get the two flashes to communicate wirelessly?

Thanks Lew, and hopefully you'll be all digitized soon.

My machinist is a guy who does medical machines. First version will be aluminum and "then we'll go with exotic shit" - his words. Greg's stuff is magnesium. Titanium is about the same cost, but is harder to machine, but is even a little bit lighter.

The 550EX is such a leap from anything else out there, especially with the 10D. The two flashes can have the heads exaclty parallel, and still communicate and function ETTL, high speed.

Yeah, JP, we talked about the Quantum and that's why I went that route.

Special gear: you need the off-camera flash shoe to the master flash, and then one cord to each flash from the Quantum. They make short ones and I'm using two of those.

The multiple flash setup also works really nicely for pond swoops where you want another flash further downrange toward your target.

One 550 is right off the plane in "ahem" near darkness.

Two 550's are at 350th of a second in very dark conditions as well, with the second 550 about 20 feet in front of me doing the wireless thing.

this is my non digital set up. I used a canon A-2 with an of the shoe cord to a 540EZ. I can synch up to 1/200th a second with this. The downfall is it's friggin heavy...for me anyway. And a lot more snag points. My next big spend will be all digital for sure.
my pics & stuff!

What sort of frame rate can you run that at?

Depends on the flash out put setting.

Full power, about 1-1.5 fps.

Half power can *almost* keep up with the camera's max burst (9 shots at 3+fps). I lose the fash on shot 8 or 9 usualy, but I've never *needed* to shoot that fast. Heck except for exit's I doubt I ever shoot more than 2 frames in a row so a rate of 1fps is just fine. Shooting that way I still end up with more than 30 shots to play with on most jumps.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.