MattM

Jumping 2 cameras

I use the same lenses, because the backup is exactly that, a backup. The only reason I would use a second camera in competition is just in case one failed then I could use the video from the working camera. There is a lot of talk about using a real wide angle lense for the exit ect, but you can only turn in one view, you cant show the exit with one camera and then show the rest of the jump from the other. So I use my ideal setup on both camera's.
My choice is a Diamond .03, for 4way, but it is a very wide lense and not for every camera flyer.

I do know of a few people that use different set ups for fliming tandems and big ways, The best exit shot I have ever seen was from Gus Wing, filming a 50 way in Deland. He zoomed in a lot on one camera and took the left side of the skyvan, while I had the right, on exit he went low and flew immediately to the left of the formation filming up, from this view you see the formation and a very clear shot of everyone exiting the otter, it made a kind of Fly by effect, it was very cool to see the otter flying by and see everyone exiting it and swooping down. With the combination of Gus's two camera's he did some really cool editing.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

I've been using .3 diamond in 4 to 15 way and I found is too wide, you must fly very close to get a cool video, Itried a kenko .5 this weekend and I got better video on a 16 and 12 way.
What are your reasons to use .3 on RW? I usually do FF but I really need to get a .5 for those fun camera jumps.
Thanks

Carlos
http://web.mac.com/ac057a/iWeb/AC057A/H0M3.html

I've been using .3 diamond in 4 to 15 way and I found is too wide, you must fly very close to get a cool video, Itried a kenko .5 this weekend and I got better video on a 16 and 12 way.
What are your reasons to use .3 on RW? I usually do FF but I really need to get a .5 for those fun camera jumps.
Thanks

Carlos

I personally fly very close to the formation, and I have no problem filling up my screen with the .03. But it took practice. And the exit shots are awesome, especially with big ways. I dont care for the kenko .05 I find it too narrow, but I started with one, and gradually moved up to the .03, Its really more with what your comfortable flying, and what lens best fits your style.

Ray

From what I hear is if you bust on your smaller wide angle camera, you look at the wider angle to get the good video. Thats the one you turn in to the judges. Is that right?

In theory yes, but I still dont see using a wide lens and a smaller lens. A wide lens might help, but there isn't many ways it would help. If a team goes flat and you left early the only thing that is going to help you, is some very good flying. I would much rather wear two of the same camera's and use the setup as a backup for equipment failure, instead of backing me up if I screw up.
This is only my opinion towards me, I agree that maybe a super wide might help you out in a bind, I jump a .03 already so I am using a super wide lens, a smaller angle lens with me would only show a narrow close angle, that would get busted to hell.
All I could suggest is try it out yourself and see if you like it, if you do use it.

Ray

On the flip side of Ray . . . and I probably do a LOT of things differently than Ray.

I fly two cameras for major competitions (well, that part is the same). One lens wider than the other. Both will be acceptable and judgeable under normal circumstances. One will be slightly better than the other depending on how the team and I flew together. I usually know before I land which one. I show the slightly better one to the judges.

My tight lens is a Titanium 0.42.
My wide lens is a Sony 0.6.

That's right, in this particular case, the 0.6 is -wider- than the 0.42.

Maybe it's just a crutch, but it works for me.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You are not allowed to view any tape before dubbing for the judges according to the rules. SO..... if you think you may have missed part of the exit for some reason and have doubts, then you dub from the extreme wide view. The judges will hate the rest of your video because everyone is so small... But... you'll save the bust.
www.brentfinley.com
[email protected]