sputnik

Camera Indicator without LANC?

Hi folks,
bought a very cheap Samsung camera without LANC-port and - very bad - without record led (so a mirror on altimeter won't help) [:/]

It's so depressing making tandem videos for so many bucks and then have to explain the pax that I've been too silly to turn on my camera.:$

Any ideas? Except "buying a Sony camera"?

Life's NOT a journey!

Are you sure there is no LED to indicate record anywhere on the camera? What is the model number?

Another option: Sell the Samsung and get yourself another camera. Use pawnshops, EBAY, local newspapers etc. (to keep the cost down to a minimum) if you are looking for a used one. You should be able to essentially trade into one with a bit of effort. You will be glad you did.

Just my two cents...

yes, i'm sure..... no led!:(
it's a Samsung VP-D190i
i got it for 500 euros, that's about 630 USD....
it's nice, even a dv-in..... except that little thing that sometimes makes life so frustrating....[:/]

i have quite 200 jumps with it.....
and I cut off the small textile handle so it would be difficult to sell it.
anyway, thank you for your answer....;)

Life's NOT a journey!

without record led

I find this very hard to believe, even de old VHS super shoulder models had a little red light to show recording!

Most models of camcorders give you an option to turn this light off. It might be in a menu.

Easy solution if this isn't the case. Buy a new camcorder, they are so damn cheap now adays. I got a PC101 for $400 big ones a couple months ago off ebay. Trying to get your hands on a Digital8 or earlier digital model would be quite easy and cheaper.

If you figure out the red LED, let me know, i have a cam eye one i'll sell (cheap) you that will work just fine.

Good luck

If you have a red indicator light, try hooking a photo cell and a super bright LED in series. Power it with a AAA battery pack. You should be able to get the parts at a Radio Shack or electronics store.

When you get the parts put together correctly, use gaffers tape to affix the photo cell over the camera's red indicator light. Use a lot so no excess light hits the photo cell. If you can't get the parts, e-mail me at [email protected]. I think I have an extra parts put together somewhere I can send you.

I searched again und read the manual for hours....
no led!!![:/]
but your idea sounds good. could the photo cell work with the viewfinder, too? if I placed it over the record sign exactly? or would the power be too low? :Sf

Life's NOT a journey!

I don't think you can use the small record sign on the LCD display for a external record display.

But i have seen viewfinders with seperate LED (old Hi8 and VX1000E). And i have seen one camera where the current leads to this LED were cut and redirected to an external LED. But this requires to open+modify the cameras viewfinder.

Another way might be monitoring the current from the battery. In recording mode the tape transport is running and the power consumption should be greater than in power-off/standby mode. I think it's easy to make a interface between camera and battery. Maybe you find e.g. a student at a local college department or a radio amateur in your local radio club who can test this assumption and can design an external recording device.

Good luck
Stefan

"if I placed it over the record sign exactly? or would the power be too low?"

I don't know about power, but I doubt this would be practical, plus, you not be able to close the LCD screen.
If I'm looking at the right cam? http://www.nomatica.co.uk/video/vpd190iEN.htm#
Have you confidence in using the remote to power up the camera on jump run? Maybe fit a small pocket on your jumpsuit to keep the remote safe.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

That is the right cam.
I didn't mean the big lcd display, I meant the small viewfinder at the back of the cam. I thought I could drill a little hole between the display and the lens and place the photo cell over the record symbol.

Life's NOT a journey!

Never thought of it, but if you could attach the photo cell in such a way as to keep all outside light out, it might work. The only problem I see is that the LED would only tell you the camera is on, since the photo cell is getting it's light source from the viewfinder, not just from the record light.

ah ok! misunderstood the principle. thought the photo cell would directly transfer the color.
like optical fiber.
Under those circumstances I'll place a photo cell onto the power switch at the back of the cam. because there exists a red led. I think it's enough to know whether it's turned on. then if I didn't push the record button I would be too stupid to make videos. ;)

Life's NOT a journey!

For the Video light you might want to check out this page:
http://www.skydiver.de/stef/bastel.htm There are links on it for other circuts that skydivers made.
(Is that your page StefB?)

I also made my own circuit with a transistor and Dytter batteries. PM me if you are interested, i haven't put the instrutions on my homepage jet.
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

If you really don't have a connection method you can do it with a light sensitive cell in a circuit with a power transistor to amplify the output to your remote LED. If you [/email] me I'll send you a circuit of this that worked well for me on an early camera helmet of mine from a few years ago. You will need a few dollars in parts a soldering iron and some basic electrical knowledge. The only thing is for this to work you need to have the photo electric sensor lined up well and close to the record LED.

I've been thinking about the problem for a while and this just occurred to me.

Does the camera make a noise when recording is started and a different one when you stop?

If so, get a small microphone, an earpiece speaker and a small battery powered microphone pre-amplifier. If you seal the mic. around the camera speaker you should be able to hear the camera do its thang through the earpiece.

Let me know if anyone tries this please.

G