joewreilly

Sabre 2 170: GAINED WEIGHT - WINGLOAD

Hey guys so I haven't jumped in about 6 months due to work and am going to get back in the air this weekend. I have 95 jumps, 2 years in the sport and I have flown a sabre 2 170 since about jump 15. When I first started flying the 170 I weighed about 155lbs (175LB exit weight). Over the past year I've gained about 15 pounds so now I'm sitting at about 165lbs (185LB exit weight).

My wingload at 155lbs was 1.03. Now at 165 it's 1.1.

My question is how big of a difference will this make on my canopy? I was a little skeptical due to being 6 months out and having gained some weight. Do you think it is still safe to fly? I don't want to have to upsize and I've gained weight from working out so losing weight isn't really an option. What do you guys think?

Talk with instructors at the DZ, make sure to go through the basics and when you jumped last. I'm not sure what the rules would be for you, but even if you're perfectly legal to jump, talking with instructors is a good idea. You might want to get 1-2 jumps on a rental 190 first, but since you've flown a Sabre2 before, your newfound WL is otherwise not a big deal IMHO. I've been flying a SA2 170 @ 1.13 since I had 40 jumps; it requires some technique to land properly, but you knew that. A little refresher should have you flying again; 6 months is not much longer than the off-season break you can see in DK if you're unlucky and the weather is particularly crap.
"Skydivers are highly emotional people. They get all excited about their magical black box full of mysterious life saving forces."

I am in a similar position. I gained 30 pounds (mostly flab) when I sat out a year for knee surgery. Now I weigh over 200 pounds. I lost 3 pounds last week, but clearly need to eat less and exercise more.

Before surgery, I was loading my Stiletto at the heavy edge of the chart. I have only done a few jumps on my Stiletto 135 since returning. Even my Ariel 150 flies too fast for comfort.
First step is re-lining my Ariel because it has 1,000 plus jumps on the original lines. The second step is trading my 135 for a 170 or 190.