harryskydives

Help buying a digital still camera

I am thinking about buying a digital still camera. When i was looking at them, the sales people seemed not to know of any that had a connection for a remote switch. Also once you go above 3.2 mpixel the price goes up fast. Any suggestions on witch on to get. I do not want to spend any more than a couple hundred dollars. I do have a camera helmet set up but seldom jump it. I use a poloroid for my work but plan to use this camera instead. If i get a new camera i would like to be able to jump it. Any suggestions. I posted this in the vid forum, but i think those peeps are into big buck gear.

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

Honestly there is one that cannon makes that you can get on ebay for around 300 dollars. I am not sure what it is called but it is awesome. 5.2 megapixels I think, night vision, zoom. Really professional grade equipment a few years ago. My buddy has one. When he gets home I wil ask him exactly what it is.

i have a fuji (i think it's an s 560) that takes really good pictures, and video(about 80 seconds) it costs about $150 at wal-mart.

billy d------------------------- "Escape may be checked by water and land, but the air and the sky are free." (from the story of Daedalus and Icarus)

For X-mas my dad is getting me the Nikon Coolpix 2100. He's a real techie kind of guy and seems to think this is a good digital camera for the price (about $200).
"If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girl's sports such as hot oil wrestling and foxy boxing." - Homer Simpson

With Gateway and some of the other electronics manufacturers getting in to the digital camera market you can expect prices to drop pretty dramtically over the next few months. Gateway has a 5 megapixel camera for $299.00. Make sure you get good optical zoom, digital zoom is far less important. All it is really doing is making the pixels bigger.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

For X-mas my dad is getting me the Nikon Coolpix 2100. He's a real techie kind of guy and seems to think this is a good digital camera for the price (about $200).

That's what I have, it's pretty great for the price. The Canon A70 I couldn't even find when I was looking for a camera back in June, and now they have out the A80 which my boss bought after I took him shopping for a camera for his wife and told him what I'd like to have (aside from the Canon Rebel that's out now for about $1000 bucks!)

I'm not sure my Coolpix would do well with jumping though. It has a setting for sport shots that's pretty great, but it's still kinda low end for those kind of speed shots maybe? Phree's prob'ly right that you'd need something more high priced then you want right now it sounds like.

Pammi

Canon Rebel is the way to go.. but I ain't helping you buy the mother fucker! Nuh uh! Earn your own money.. You can get the kit that includes a lens for about $850. Do a google search and then check the price-shopping sites that come up. Good luck!
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

Unless you plan to blow pics up larger than 8.5x11 there's no reason to go above 3megapixels. You'd be better off getting one with less pixels and more features. I like my Canon Elph. Best part about it is I actually take it places and use it since it fits in my front jeans pocket.

I love my 3.2 megapixel Olympus camera. Under $300, no extra software to buy or install - just plug it into your computer and drag over the pictures into whatever file you choose. I am not incredibly computer savvy.
PMS#28, Pelogrande Rodriguez#1074
My Pink M

Unless you plan to blow pics up larger than 8.5x11 there's no reason to go above 3megapixels. You'd be better off getting one with less pixels and more features. I like my Canon Elph. Best part about it is I actually take it places and use it since it fits in my front jeans pocket.

That is the camera i was thinking about, doesn't it have the capability of a remote shutter switch also?

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

The value of more megapixels is when you crop the picture and then blow up the smaller area.

I have the Canon S50. It was a good investment, especially since I found a dealer on-line that was offering it with an extra 128MB CF card for less than the rest. No remote switch jack, but you pretty much need to go with a digital EOS or Rebel or similar to get the features you might want for jumping, like the jack, and lens options like wide angle.

On that subject, even though the 35mm EOS and digital EOS lens are compatible, there is a zoom effect using the older lenses with the digital cameras because the CCD is smaller than a 35mm frame.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

I recently bought the Sony-P8 after spending a bit of time researching some of the better 3.2 dig. cams. It really came down to the Canon A70 and the one I bought. The cool thing about the Sony is that it takes LONG movies (quality is not as good as a camcorder, but decent) and it has a lithium battery. The A70 takes AA batteries and goes thru them quickly if you use it alot. Check out CNET.com and look at their reviews. Also, bought a HP7960 photoprinter---way cool. Happy holidays-DK