volo

Digital SLR

Hey everyone! I'm in the process of looking for an SLR camera for stills and I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this. I'm looking particularly looking to buy the NIKON D100 DIGITAL SLR. Thoughts anyone?

There are lots of discussions about the topic... do a search...

The Canon D60 / 10D have a proven track record. Not sure if the D100 has a remote plug.

J
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Not sure if the D100 has a remote plug.

No it doesn't, at least, not by itself and not a electronical one. The camera does have a mechanical remote, and you can buy ($$$) the grip to get the electronical remote (which also makes the camera bigger and heavier unfortunately). That said, I believe the picture quality of Nikon lenses is better then Canon, at least better then the lenses I have. But Canon D30/D60/10D or 300D are good too. (I had a D30 and have a 300D now.) However I wouldn't want to go jump with the extra grip and all that, although Norman Kent and Cabana do I believe. Henny Wiggers jumps one too (Team Captain of the camera crew for the next FS Wold Record, Thailand). So yeah, it's a good camera ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I've been looking at the Digital Rebel. Does it have a remote that we can use skydiving?

Yes, and very much so!

Get the conceptus switch, just make sure it has the stereo plug on it, and it will work great!
I am jumping it like that, and it is working just fine.

Iwan

I just picked up a Cannon Digital Rebel kit and will be fiddling with it here shortly. So far I am impressed with the weight and the quality, MTF.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

I just picked up a Cannon Digital Rebel kit and will be fiddling with it here shortly. So far I am impressed with the weight and the quality, MTF.

Get a different lens than what comes in the kit, though. I'm not happy with that one and went for a more quality lens in the Canon 20mm. Sure it's ALOT heavier, but the quality and perameters available make up the difference by far.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I'm not happy with that one and went for a more quality lens in the Canon 20mm.

What don't you like about it?

1) Don't like the wider f/stop that is needed to allow for proper exposure. It seems that your depth of field is reduced at least 2 f/stops even in full sun.

2) Don't like the fact that you don't have a reading for focal length written on the lens.

3) Don't like it's plastic manufacturing

4) Don't like that it won't fit ANY other Canon camera

5) Don't like that it's "Infinity Setting" isn't good for -anything- closer than the far away horizon a mile away. You -have- to bring it a bit closer to even get a subject 50 feet away. Even if they're NOT moving, the chance they will be in crisp focus is a crap shoot. Even with 'auto-focus'.

The 20mm Canon lens doesn't have any of these faults and gives MUCH higher quality pictures, IMHO.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon