skydog

Camera Flying Presentation

I am planning on doing a presentation on camera flying.

Our DZ has experienced a ground swell of jumpers with around 200 jumps, who are wanting to use cameras etc.

I thought it would be a good idea to give a presentation describing my experiences whilst learning (and still learning) to fly camera.

I have come up with subjects from the basics of a camera set up, filming different types of jumps, SAFETY, camera settings etc.

What I need is ideas for other areas to cover, remembering I will probably have a max of 2 hours to keep their attention.

I have already considered running two, one basic and the other more in depth and advanced, what do you think?

What I could also do with are pictures of potential problems encountered by a camera flyer. (I have lost my still of an AFF instructor pulling underneath me!!!)

Any tips, photo's or video will be greatly appreciated.

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

Hi Bryn,

What about the mechanics and the physics of photography and videography? It might be difficult to judge what level to pitch it at but I would have thought that having at least a basic understanding of how things work will help people make better use of them.

I used to have some great footage of me going low (camera jump #2) and me taking a formation out (camera jump #not very high) but both have been lost I'm afraid. I would stress the importance of maintaining altitude awareness and not changing too many variables at once.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

Sorry, off topic here....are you a registered Skydog, Bryn? B|

ltdiver
SD #626

Never knew about the association when I took this nickname, (I was an animal welfare officer, so Skydog seemed appropriate) until a bloke at elsinore saw the name on my rig, shook hands and sniffed my ass!!!!

So officially I am not a member, but do subscribe to its ethos.:D

Bryn

You might want to look into an entire dive flow from the perspective of the camera flyer. Just note all the slight differences in;

Packing (do you pack any differently?)
Gear up (do you do anything differently?)
Aircraft loading (are you careful not to get your camera bumped?)
Seat belts (how do you secure your camera)
Ride to altitude (do you have a routine for checking your camera in such a way you could deal with a problem -before- climbout?)
Climb out. (different steps and handles -- also, don't bump your head and watchout for door dangers)
Exits (different types and appropriateness for different sized groups and situations)
Freefall (camera flyer placement, what about more than one camera flyer?)
Breakoff procedures (don't get dead)
Under canopy procedures (you can be a high safety and watch for reserves and such)
Landings (do you -really- want to swoop with that thing on your head?)
Walking back in (do you wear your helmet or take it off?)

Also, think about;
Gear selection -- not just the camera and helmet but also camera suits, sights, gloves, film, tape. canopies.
Video settings -- white balance, lenses, sports mode?
Film or Digital stills?
Dubbing (do you have a stack of VCRs or only 1?) What about DVDs?
Editing -- programs and hardware
Pricing services -- what's a "fair price"
Copyrights -- who owns your work. Do you rip off musicians?
Working with teams, students, tandems

It really shouldn't be too difficult to take up two hours.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

How about breaking it into two 1 hour sections. The first going over just the safety aspects of flying camera as Quade suggests. The second on the techniques. and equipment. My biggest concern is low timers not realizing how much flying camera changes things in the air. I've seen some extremely dangersous video. They just don't realize how close they came.

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana" -Groucho Marx- "Tom flies like a rock" -Tom Carson-

...until a bloke at elsinore saw the name on my rig, shook hands and sniffed my ass!!!!

LOL!! ;) Ah, the good ol' days! :)
Wish the Skydog web site was still up and running...

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Wish the Skydog web site was still up and running...

Sherman -- set the Wayback Machine.

Not always perfect, but sometimes useful.

Uh, like I said....[:/]

This was a fun worldwide skydiving club...even more fun than Dan's Fault...

It's spawning was in Snohomish, WA with the Seattle Skydiver Club. They detested the negatvie persona that "Sky Gods" gave to the name of skydiving. They didn't like the attitude these Sky Gods gave to both newbie jumpers and the average 'there to have good fun' regular skydiver.

And so they broke away and started their own club. The name deliberately spelled backwards of SkyGod. SkyDog!

They invited anybody and everybody to join and have great skydives together. Nobody was excluded and the club grew worldwide!

When the web site was up and running you could click on any portion of the world and find members there. You could meet friends in each and every DZ you visited...and were welcomed on the load and mentored into safe, yet still outrageously fun jumps.

Unfortunately, "Zero", the HH of the SkyDog club decided to hang it up and moved somewhere down south. He offered to have somebody take up the torch and run with it, but (as far as I know) nobody has.

If I have a chance, I'll look through my own archives and see if I can post a few of the 'skydog rules'. The jump you HAD to do to become a member et al.

I remember my own SkyDog skydiving initiation jump! What a hoot!! I'm grinning now just remembering it. :)
ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Excellent stuff on that British site, however it sounds like you really need a monthly series of lectures, starting with pre-levels, then gear selection (give them a few weeks to de-bug their main canopies), then dressing, etc.
No-one is going to absorb it all in one sitting because some of what you say will fall on deaf ears until they have done it for real a few times.
Try a series of lectures about camera flying.

No-one is going to absorb it all in one sitting because some of what you say will fall on deaf ears until they have done it for real a few times.
Try a series of lectures about camera flying.

This has been a thought but trying to arrange the people in one place over a series of dates is nigh on impossible (lot of university types etc.)

I will see how this one goes and then try and cover the subjects with more depth on future occasions.

Thanks for all the input people have given.B| it is greatly appreciated.

Bryn

I have compiled a word doc with basically the same types of things to educate newer camera fliers at our dz.

I gave a 1 1/2 hour briefing over beers, and we barely scratched the surface.

My main goal was to make sure we had -safe- camera fliers, not necessarily -good- camera fliers.

I end up working one on one with the camera fliers that want to work at the dz. Those that just want to fly video for fun usually get some tips and gear review from me, but it usually is a little too late (like after they bought a camera model or helmet that turns out to not be quite what they wanted).

I think someone at the dz taped the talk, but it is probably not very coherent (lots of interruptions, some pertinent, some just wisecracks). The doc is a little better.. and has a lot of stuff (older, mind you, but still relevant) that I pulled from various sources.

j

OK, did the seminar last friday night.

Had around 15 attendees ranging from 3 jumps to 1500.

Made a rough guide on what to say. Broke it down into three sections, You, equipment and the flow of a camera jump.

Spent 2 1/2 hours and still could have gone on.

I received very positive feedback and plan a similar seminar in the spring with more focussed seminars, concentrating on specifics, later

All in all it was a very positive experience for me and those who came along.

Thanks for all the input from the group it is very much appreciated.

Bryn

Sure I'll get a copy to you but it may take a day or so because the file is on my home PC in the UK and I am in New Zealand!!!!

Its a rough guide, more like lecture notes but it gives an overall overview of the seminar.

Bryn