dave610

Brand New Container - Used Reserve?

Ok, So I am going to buy a new container, after a lot of thought I think I am going to buy a brand new container after getting measured so it will fit me better and be what I really want. To make a long story short, the reserve I have is large, too large for a container to fit my main, so I will have to get a new reserve also.
Should I buy a used reserve? If so, what is too old for a reserve?

Used, as in previously owned by someone else but not not jumped? I would not have a problem either way, if it has been jumped get the canopy inspected by your rigger, don't be too worried about a couple of low speed deployments. Just my opinion.

A used reserve would be fine. But usually reserve stay with the rig for just the reason you have. So finding what you want may or may not be easy. No body can give you a hard rule as to how old is too old. Be aware the some Precision reserves have a service bulletin on them. Most should be taken care of but check their web site for the canopies effected. PD says they want to inspect reserve that have been packed 40 times or use 25 times. The 25 seems a little high to me.[:/] If a reserve is of a modern design, doesn't have more than a few openings (preferably none) it should be fine. But reserves will wear out just from packing. So I wouldn't buy one more than a few years old to go with a new rig. I wouldn't chose to buy a 13 year old cricket.

But..... If your going to have new gear, might as well have NEW gear.B| Of course saving a couple of hundred dollars means more jumps.;)

Terry

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Dave, you could buy a wings...with there EXT series they can make pretty much any main/reserve combo you can conceive of...just an idea....that way you can have your smaller main and still feel comfortable under a bigger reserve....

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....