Ralf

DVDR w/DV output

So far, every DVD Recorder (componet system, not computer) that I have looked at does not have DV-out. Most have DV-in. I assume that is for copy protection of commercial DVD products. My desire is to store my skydiving video's on DVD's and still be able to access the digital code. Does anyone know of any DVD recorders that have a DV-out?

Second question: On my Philips DVDR985, there are 4 speeds (HQ - 1 hr / SP - 2 hr / LP - 3 hr / EP - 4 hr). To perserve the quality of a typical SkyDive video from a Sony PC-9, what speed should you use. The manual says that SP equals quality of a pre-recorded DVD.

Blue Skies,
Ralf Stinson

Look at the
Sony RDR-GX7 Component DVD Recorder

Nope! Has DV in, but not DV out. Is a fantastic DV recorder though.

Any DVD is going to be a bit LOWER quality than an original DV25 tape (miniDV, DVCPro, DVCam).

1 hour of DVD is compressed onto about 4.7 gigs.
1 hour of DV25 is compressed to about 13.3 gigs.

DVD recorders from major manufacturers, especially Sony, will not have any sort of DV out. This is for copy protection purposes.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

"This is for copy protection purposes. "

Aren't we also asking a bit much? The compression used for DVD is completely different from std DV avi data streams?

Best bet might be to export via an SVHS and hose it onto a miniDV recorder/cam...
But your gonna get generation loss.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

When I worked at Ultimate Electronics, I made a skydiving DVD to play as a demo in the store. It was a JVC, I used the highest quality mode it had, and in my opinion, the quality sucked! This was about 2 years ago, but I used the one hour record mode, and I can't imagine the quality has improved much since then, the price, however, has dropped, as that one was about $2,000 at that time. I would suggest you make sure you can get a money back on the recorder if you buy one, and do some tests right a way.

The best quality, and quickest way to archive your DV footage, is get your fiends DV cam, and firewire the good stuff to another tape.

If you want them on an optical storage media, the only other way I would do it, is using a computer, and save the files to a DVD as avi files.(data disk) You will have full access, and the quality will be perfect! At 13.3GB per hour, you will need about 3 disks to record an hour of video. Right now, Best Buy has 50 DVD-R discs for $59.99. That's $3.60 per hour of recorded video, not bad.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat01163&type=category

Blue Skies,
Wags

Wags, good info, thank you.

Yes a friends camcorder works, but I bought a JVC HR-DVS2 VTR. It has two decks in it, a S-VHS and MiniDV. For I/O it has DV-in/out, S-Video and Composit along with a built in TV/cable tunner. It is a nice part of my editing system. I can go straight from a MiniDV tape to a VHS tape or a S-VHS tape (also S-VHS format on a VHS tape, but many systems can not play that back). Great for that quick copy, no editing board, no cables, excellent quality. I also use it as the main recorder for the output of my editing board.

Blue Skies,
Ralf

Damn, that sounds like a great unit. May I ask, how much you paid for it? Last time I looked at any deck with Mini DV in it, they cost a lot. I have also seen some full size DV systems out there, I can't remember how much video they could hold, maybe 2 hours?

Blue Skies,
Wags

The JVC VCR HR-DVS2 a couple of years ago was $1200, and it is now about $600, the newer modle is HR-DVS3 and it is about $900. The tape length (time) is the same as the MiniDV camears SP - 1 hr and LP - 1.5 hr.

Sony has a small MiniDV deck that is portable and works on the L series batteries. It come with or with out an LCD screen. It is about $1200 with the screen. I have the Digital 8 version without the screen. The small Sony D-8 & MiniDV units have the following inputs/outputs: DV, S-Video & Composit.

I firewire from my camer to the D-8 deck, then use it as the B source for editing - basicly two master tape sources. The other nice thing about the D-8 deck is that it can play 8 and Hi8, the previous anolog 8mm formats so if I get an old 8mm tape someone wants to use, I can play it. I got it at Fry's Electronics.

Ralf

Do a little search here and you'll find out it has issues.

As for printing off the Memory Stick, yes, that's possible, but no substitute for a real digital still camera. Better than nothing in a pinch, but not good enough, by a long shot, for regular or publishable results.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Yes, most digital cameras can take a video, and most video cameras can take a still. There is a gap between the two! And no matter how close the two get, I think it will be a long time before you will have a camera taking video, and simultaniously taking high quality stills. So for now, you will have two cameras. Yes, there are the 3+ Megapixel video cameras coming out. If you take a digital still, you can get a good to very good digital picture. If you take vidoe and do a video capture, all the extra MegaPixels does is help get a slightly better video image, and you are still stuck with trying to get a still picture off of a video image. I can get passable (not good) images from a MiniDV tape in my Sony PC-9. (OK 4x6 prints) I have seen video capture by later Sony video cameras and they are better than what I can get from my PC-9. (Fair 4x6 prints). I have yet to see good 4x6 prints from video capture.

Blue Skies,
Ralf

Yep, I am with you newshooter12 ... I don't get it...
You want the device to be an archival mechanism?

DVD format is mpeg, which is compressed..
DV format is basically uncompressed..

I edit using NLE (AVID Xpress DV), and I want all that stuff to be native DV, not mpeg.

I also second the opinion that the best backup storage medium is DV tape! (in terms of price, not ease of use). DVD archival just doesn't seem useful to me, and more expensive (to store video in a DV format, not an MPEG format).

I love the idea of DVD being loss-"less" at least compared to tape. But when people want to go jam more and more time on the disc the quality you worked so hard to capture, edit, in general create goes down the tube. Why?:S
My philosophy is keep the highest quality you can throughout the whole process. Otherwise the expensive MiniDV cam you bought, wideangle lens, editing software and more importantly time have just been boiled down to VHS quality or less. Still seems kind of backwards to me, but i'm just ranting...[:/]
If you're passing a finished skydiving DVD off to a customer the added cost should be negated, buy their remuneration to you. I'd be thouroughly amazed to see someone fill up the complete disc for one customer or jump. Figure 5-7 minute leader and 7-12 minute final edit = at most 20 minutes. According to the memorex DVD-R 4.7 GB i have in front of me that's still 1/3 of it's capacity at "high" quality. I don't have the #s off hand, but i think the compression that AVID Xpress uses would still fit the 20 minutes in the 4.7GB. Then again i could be wrong. I still think it would be of greater quality then the average viewer would notice and still say it was a quantum leap beyond VHS.

enough ranting for now.
matt

I have a DV camcorder which I am about to link upto my laptop to play with the footage on Adobe Premier 6. I want to burn the finished product onto a DVD so that I can play it in a standard DVD player. What format do I need to export the Premier footage in and what is the best software for buring DVDs?

ADAM
I'm drunk, you're drunk, lets go back to mine....

Hi Ralf,

I guess the number of people looking for DVDR'swith DV Outputs is so small that almost no vendor is offering this. However I do have good news for you.

I'm in the market for a DVDR with DV Input AND Output. the reason I want it is exactly the same you need it to. I want to capture in my computer the digital output from the DVD. DVD's I will capture will be flight simulation related, I need to encode them in my computer and the fastest way to do this is if my computer can detect a DV source where to get the video.

THe ONLY DVDR i've seen supporting this is the Pioneer DVR-310-S it is a DVD-R costing around $399 so it now expensive. I plan however to order it it locally (from Circuit City maybe) and make sure I test it first. Just wanted to share this with you so we both can enjoy DVDR's with DV Out for our specific needs.