friis

What type of lens for Canon 300D (Rebel)

I am considering to buy a Canon EOS 300D (Digital Rebel), because I found it on the net for only 669$ (any lower??) !!! on www.infinitycameras.com. But I also need a lens for the camera, which one should I buy? I am going to use the camera for freeflying.
I know that there is a difference in lences for normal SLR cameras and digital SLR, what exactly is the difference? Which SLR lens is the same as my 0.42 wide angle camcorder lens? In general please tell me something about lenses, I'm new in this game ;)
------------------------------------------------
Benjamin - Denmark

Whatever you get, DON'T get a 28mm. That will be like a 45mm lense on your Digital Rebel. The size of the Rebel's sensor is smaller then 35mm film, giving you a percieved 1.6 x zoom. I use the 18-55mm lense that comes in the Rebel kit. It costs only $100 more, and the lense is great, light, and has been getting good reviews. At 18mm it is like a 29mm lense.

As far as matching your camcorder lense, someone else will have to answer that question.

Blue Skies,
Wags

I see that same company has the Digital Rebel kit with the lense for $809.99 That's a great price, I paid almost $200 more :( But, I bought it from my old coworker/roommate, and I know I will be taken care of if I have any problems. ;)

Here is a link to the page with the kit.
http://www.infinitycameras.com/viewitem.php?IndexID=3858

Blue Skies,
Wags

At 18mm it is like a 29mm lense.

The 18mm converts to a 32mm on the 300D. I use the fixed Canon 20mm lens for RW (tandems still like the 35mm film where I jump at this time).

For freeflying, bring cashola....you'll be shelling out the bucks for something like a 14mm lens. Converts to a 22mm.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

for freefall I use the sigma EX 15mm fisheye and I get great results. It's not as fisheyeish as one might think when mounted on DSLR. Pretty good price too. For ground work right now I am using canon 28-135 IS, and canon 75 - 300. Here's a shot using the sigma 15mm on my 10D:

http://www.cool-points.com/dean
Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."

At 18mm it is like a 29mm lense.

Like Prost said, 18 x 1.6 = 28.8mm You got the multiplication correct for your 14mm lense.

I was noticing that he was trying to save a few bucks by buying from a cheep online retailer, so I figured he would want to save on the lense also. The 18-55mm lense does work quite well. I have had many comments on my pictures that have been blown up to as big as 20" X 30".

Blue Skies,
Wags

>>Great picture <<

Thanks!!

>>What is the exact name of your Sigma 15 mm Fish Eye lens, and how much does such a lens app. cost?<<

Sigma Fisheye 15mm f/2.8 EX Diagonal Fisheye Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS

I got it new from ebay and paid 330 bucks.

You can get them from b&h for 399 bones. Here's a link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=179370&is=USA
Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."

18 * 1.6 = 28.8 or is the focal length multiplier different for the 300d

Oops. My bad. Must have been before my morning sip of coffee. :S The 20mm lens comes out to 32mm on calculation of 1.6. Guess I had that on my brain before it turned on this AM...

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

I did a test with the sigma 14mm renticular, and the 15 mm fish eye. The 14 is a better wide angle lens with less distortion. But the icreased cost and weight only lends it to super highquality shots not everyday use.

I know a guy who bought it and I think it's over kill.

Getting started in shooting or your going to shoot digital all day long. Get the 15mm fe from sigma. Good quality good price.

You start making it on the cover of Parachutist or sports illustrated, then get the 14.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

Someone on a diferent thread said they had that when there memory card wasn't in all the way. Try that first.
Some thought it was the sigma lenses they were using, but maybe your trouble disproves this.

What was the weather like?

here's a link to that thread.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=737704;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

Blue Skies,
Wags

I seriously doubt that they test the configuration for skydiving. When I thought about that for a moment I realized they would have to have a really neato piece of test equipment to test for skydiving use. They'd have to simulate the change in temperature, pressure and humidity from sea level to 14 grand over 20 minutes and then back in about 3 inducing vibration and wind along the way.

That might be a warranty-voiding event.

But I'm sure Canon didn't test it for skydiving related purposes. I dunno, vibration, moisture, ????

But to hear the same thing is not good. When I was asked at the dz if I had an eroor 99 before I said no. But too hear of another could mean a possible glitch. We just need to hear if they both have more problems and what they are or if others have the same problem.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

Well.. I guess I'll find out over time.
I haven't had problems with mine yet, but as soon as I do I am going to get rid of it and go for the 10D, since Deuce hasn't had any problems with that one yet..
On the other hand, if it is because of the lens, I am not using that one for jumping..

Iwan

I did lock my 10D up once, but it was after I was under canopy and all the shots I'd taken were still on the card. It was one of my first outings with the camera and I didn't take the time to analyze the problem like I would now.

Peter and Quade are using the D60.