Alambic

Bullet camera

Hi there,

read the very interesting article by Andey Frey on bullet cams http://www.dropzone.com/features/MakeMyCameraanExtraSmall.shtml

and found only one thread on this :
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=319902;search_string=bullet;#319902 that didn t solve some of my doubts:

-What about the "widening lens" (the one you usually add to a cam to skydive to have better angle of vision... sorry not to kbow the word, I am not a native speaker)? do you still need one, or is it included is the bullet cam?

-What about breaking the "digital chain"? if I understand well, transmission between the bullet cam and the recorder (ie your belly mounted MiniDV cam) is analogical. Don t you lose any quality in this digital->analogical->digital conversion?

-What about stabilizing? I heard that on many MiniDV cams image stabilization was granted both by harware and software, and that with such bullet cams you lost one if not both types of stabilization.

Thanks to all, I am not currently flying camera, because I have a fragilized neck, so I am very interested in this type of systems..

JB
Alambic

you are basically correct on all assumptions.
Some bullets will take lenses, but special models custom for them (probably quite pricey).
They do break the digital chain.
They do not have image stabilization, but I don't feel that is really necessary for skydiving. Your body is solid enough to get good images.
There are small selfcontained cameras that are light and small, and will have less impact on your neck, and no bulk on your belly.
Look into IP series cameras. The quality is not that of MiniDV, but is more than adequate for skydiving. Editing obstacles are also being quickly overcome for this new (microMV) format.
Good luck,
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

Hey JB,

Troy pretty much got it all. Here are the answers I give when people call and ask about the monkeyKamera:

Re: Wide angle lens... The monkeyKamera ships with a 2.5 mm wide angle lens. That lens is similar to a 0.3x or 0.42x on a Sony camcorder. If you want it *not* wide, you have to order a special lens.

Re: Breaking the digital chain... The monkeyKamera provides an analog NTSC signal that is pretty much as clear as the original camcorder image (better than microMV cameras, but not quite to the maximum quality of miniDV's capabilities). It uses AA batteries, so the power source is clean and doesn't mess with the video signal like power from the wall can. The bottom line is the final quality that is played on the television and the high end bullet cameras like the monkeyKamera are clean and look like a normal camcorder.

Re: Stabalization... If you've noticed on wider angle lenses, camera shake is not as noticeable. The stabilizing technology in most camcorders is either mechanical (some Canon cameras) or electronic (Sony and others). Also, as you become more experienced at camera, you learn to fly your head steadier. The camcorder does not stabilize incoming video feeds, if you're wondering.

Hope that helps... Fly your cameras safely!

Andy
monkeyKam.tv

"I drank what?" --Sophocles

> ...lenses are specific to the monkeyKam...

Yes. They're actually part of what makes the camera waterproof. As a matter of fact, you can dunk your monkeyKamera camera head into a glass of water and it's happy as a clam. :)

The waterproof feature is to about 9 meters, which means you can safely mount it on your foot for pound swooping. Waterproofing your camcorder is a different story. B| We're working on a water RESISTENT monkeyPal belly pouch.

Andy

"I drank what?" --Sophocles