Unutsch

hoping i found a solution for premiere 6.5 and Windows XP

i had some real problems which i couldn't solve on my own nore did i find a solution on the internet regarding issues that premiere has when intalling some additional codecs on windows XP...

so, what i did, i simply installed 2 XPs on my pc, one with all of the codecs i need for viewing and encoding video files, and one only for the premiere... i haven't had time to play with premiere for now, but will next week... i just hope i won't have problems with the fact that i installed the premiere on the same drive as the system...

anyone here that did the same thing?

Check out the site of the Fallen Angels FreeflY Organisation:
http://www.padliangeli.org

"i just hope i won't have problems with the fact that i installed the premiere on the same drive as the system... "
Hi Unue,
You should be okay (I'm no XP guru, I still run with 98 SE!), but it IS a good idea to have your footage, preview files, project files etc, all stored on either a separate partition, or a separate physical drive if possible.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

"i just hope i won't have problems with the fact that i installed the premiere on the same drive as the system... "
Hi Unue,
You should be okay (I'm no XP guru, I still run with 98 SE!), but it IS a good idea to have your footage, preview files, project files etc, all stored on either a separate partition, or a separate physical drive if possible.

I have heard this, so I did get a separate drive. However, I have yet to run into a problem using the system drive (Win2000) so I really don't know if this "problem" is mythical or real. I do keep my system drive defragged.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

what was the problem? Were there issues with exporting? I had those problems and tried for over a year to figure them out. On win 98, premiere would export perfect.once I installed XP it wouldnt. The wierd thing was, it would work flawlessly on my laptop which had XP installed too. It has something to do with the chipset on the MOBO. Systems with VIA chipsets dont work well with XP and premiere (like my computer that didnt work). intel chipset (like my laptop) work flawlessly. Ofcourse this could not even be remotely close to the problems that you've been having and I just blabbed for nothing.:S

Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."

My advice...

Option 1: Change your operating system, 98 if u like games, 2000 if not.

Option2: Change the program, try pinnacle ou Sonic foundry software, very good, for me much better than premiere.
Ber
---------------------------------
"Who Needs Oxygen Anyway?"

what was the problem? Were there issues with exporting?

no, nothing of that kind... it's just that when i installed the DV codec on the system, the premiere started to work real slow and i could not view none of the videos frame by frame, and in the end it showed an error report and shut down... :S

damn, i can't wait till i get all of my team's footage of this year and start working on another project!!!!

thanks for the replies :)

just an additional thought.... i experienced closely the same issue when I forget to unmark the option to let the video not play on the camera as well

guess u know what i mean --> general option/playback settings or so... sorry can't check haven't premiere handy in the office >:(

Sorry this has gone a little cold John, I've been busy engineering big things!;)

"I have heard this, so I did get a separate drive. However, I have yet to run into a problem using the system drive (Win2000) so I really don't know if this "problem" is mythical or real. I do keep my system drive defragged. "

Its a real problem, especially with oder systems. My first setup was based around a PII 266, with 3 off 8.4 gig drives. It would not run (frames being dropped) if the project files etc were on the system HD. My laptop, a PIII 700 does not like it one little bit if I store project, preview or clip files on the system drive.
Nowadays, with fast HDs, and fast processors the problem should not really manifest itself that often.

Additionally, try and get hold of 'enditall' which switches off loads of background apps, this leaves your processor to do its thing in peace. If 'findfast' has been installed as part of MS Office, remove or disable it.

Defragging the drives...if it works keep it up, I like to defrag at the start of a new project, or after a heavy or intensive edit session.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

WOOooHOOooo!!!! it works like hell!!!!!!! no problemos at all!!!!!!!! hehe, i've been awake all night yesterday, made 6 minutes of video with music... uuuu, can't wait till our cameraman captures this year's footage!!!!!

yabidabidabidaaaaa...lalaliiii...ooo..... smiling happy faces.....

"yabidabidabidaaaaa...lalaliiii...ooo..... smiling happy faces..... "

Makes it all worthwhile Unue:)
--------------------