MC208B

Hornet canopy question

Hi all,

I'm thinking about downsizing from my 220 Raider to a 190 Hornet. I'm wondering if this "downsize" will keep me happy for a couple years.

So, what are the handling characteristics, flare etc. of this canopy?

I weigh about 180 geared up. I'm a conservative canopy flyer, but I do enjoy watching the "junior zoomers" do their thing :D

Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

They aren't being made any more, which will likely affect resale value in the future. No big deal if you plan to jump it until it's car cover material, but if you plan to do a couple hundred jumps on it then downsize again resale value might be important to you.

I recently found out some interesting info regarding the less slippery zp used on those canopies. Apparently, the manufacturing process of the fabric uses a chemical that is not allowed to be used in the US because it's a threat to the environment.

I've only heard good things about the flight and landing charecteristics of the Hornet.

you'll be flying this Hornet at a 0:94:1 wing, and that is a conservative wing for this canopy. you'll absolutely love it. i had a Hornet 170, one of the best canopies i've ever owned. they turn sharp, have great response to toggle input and have a pretty good bottom end lift. nice choice of canopies. i found that split rolling the nose tamed the openings, they will whack that ass once in a while if ya don't watch it.
--Richard--
"We Will Not Be Shaken By Thugs, And Terroist"

I fly a Hornet 210 loaded @ 1:26:1 and "I love it!"
This canopy is a all around winner in my book, whatever I do with it it does well... i've posted many time to others about the Hornet, do a search and you'll find lots of post about this canopy.
Also even though PISA is defunct and its no longer being manufactured Aerodyne is apparently giving very good customer service to the owners of PISA products.

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

I have a Hornet 190 loaded at a little over 1:1. I really love this canopy. It's zippy enough for me when I want and flies nice and flat when i need it. It has a huge slider, which can be a little hard to reach, and I have only experienced one moderate spanking. It turns great and landings are nice and smooth. Lots of forward glide and tons of flare. Even on no wind days I can stand this one up. I plan on driving this until I need it for a car cover.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

Hi

I am currently flying a Hornet 170. I only have 40 jumps and have had all stand up landing except one
down wind landing due to other canopies.

I love the canopy to bits... it not quite a heatwave but it performs well and it lands well.

The canopy also doesn't have weird quirks.

That my 2c

Cheers

:)
I Fly a Hornet 190 loaded at 1.38, Very Smooth, Soft Landings, Slow openings (if packed properly) Mine has about 80 Jumps Colours Kelly Green, Purple, Turquoise, Im wanting to buy a 170 now cause Id like some more performance.... Anyone want a 190 ?

Cheers
Dale

"The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival." - safe swoops -

MY DZ

I used to jump a hornet 150 at 1.1. Great canopy! it opened great, lots of flare and fast on toggles. It was a bit sloppy on front risers though. Too bad PISA joint forces with arodyne! The colored tabs for pro packing are a great idea. I'm wonder why others like PD and precision don't put them on their canopies.
Memento Audere Semper