Deuce

FYI 10D memory card capacity.

My SanDisk Ultra 512 MB compactflash card holds 256 photographs at highest resolution. I found this out last weekend when I neglected to clear the previous few weeks photos out of it and maxed it.

The camera will tell me I have 157 photos available on that card when it is empty.

My SimpleTech gigabyte card tells me I have 203 photos available when it is blank, but I have had over 400 photos on that one and hadn't filled it.

I had the same experience just this last weekend. I had never maxed out a 512 card until this last Saturday.
With a clear card, the camera says I can store 199 images.
I discovered that I had about 215 when I downloaded it and at the time I pulled it from the camera, it said there was capacity for about 30 more.

On a related note... be careful of what you ask for.
I've been grumbling a bit that I don't get to do enough camera work because I get asked to do mostly tandems.

This last weekend my numbers were
8 camera
3 tandem
1 fun jump.

I shot over 240 images. Woohoo.

The camera can only estimate how large your photos are going to be before your actually take them.

I'm almost certain that you've noticed that the actual file size after compression depends on the complexity of the entire image.

A single skydiver against a solid blue sky will be a LOT smaller of a file size than a 100-way with a lot of ground clutter.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver