ifics

Sony Handycam DCR-PC330

I've been jumping with this camcorder for the past couple of weeks, and so far have been extremely impressed. The quality of the video from this camcorder is phenomenal. I also own a VX2000 and find the image quality to be very similar. The 1/3" CCD of the PC-330 has very good low-light characteristics. Also, the new RGB filter creates very lifelike color reproduction. This camcorder also has the option to shoot in 30fps progressive scan, though I haven't yet used it in freefall. All of my jumps so far have been paid tandem videos and I'd rather not experiment on paid jumps. I also haven't tested the camera's still picture quality, but being rated at 3.0 megapixels, along with the new RGB filter, I would imagine it is pretty good. All in all, I have been extremely pleased with this camera and would recommend it to any other videographer.

I'm really glad to see that there are people jumping this camera, as I'm considering buying one. I don't mind being a guinea pig, but, not having any experience, wouldn't make a very good one in this case.

I'd still be very interested to hear about experiences with the 30fps progressive scan.

Looks like it would probably fit in dboxes the pc120 fits in. What kind of dbox/mount are you using?

Thanks!

I got My 330 in the other day and spent a little time playing around with it. I am really pleased with this camera. The quality of the video is really good. This is my first camera so I dont have anything to compare it to. I am looking for a mount for it now. I am curious to see what everyone else is running with the 330. I looked at some Bonehead D boxes. They look like they offer the most protection for the camera. Kind a pricey but I have come this far and should not try and save a buck.

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227

OK I made my first (BEER) camera jump yesterday. I got my D box and a .5 wide angle lens. The video quality of this camera is AWESOME. I had some experience camera flyers try my helmet on. Some said it felt heavy. Its heavy to me because I am not used to having 1.5 lbs on the left side of my head. I was amazed how easy it was to keep my subject in the view. The jumps consisted of two way sit flying with transition to head down and back. I am really happy with this camera set up. The wide angle lens makes a big difference. I would recommend this camera for sure.

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.

I will be out at Skydive Houston Saturday for the chopper. Hook up with me and I will let you check it out. I have a orange and yellow flame bonehead with bullet hole stickers on it. You cant miss it. -Matt

YEP thats me.........Hook up with me on Saturday. I am working Friday night so I will not be out til 1 oclock or so. Are you going to jump the chopper?

Hey, I had a chance to play around with one of them not too long back. Yes they are bigger, but lighter? Huh? What? BIgger and lighter = LOTS OF PLASTIC. The whole exterior is plastic. Most interior gears and framework is plastic. Someone said that it had a 3CCD chip in it, but its still has the 1/3 chip in it, only it processed the signal differnently now to give a higher resolution. If you want to use it for home use, it prolly will work just fine, but for skydiving....no thanks. I have a feeling that it will not stand up to constant openings. Besides, its a bigger camera than its predicessors, why the hell did they do that?

------------------------------------------
Getting banned isn't that bad......

I have my 330 in a stock D-box. Its the Large one from Bonehead that the 120 fits. I have a .5 wide angle lens that clears with no problems.

What .5 lens is that? I was shopping for one and could only find a .45 37 thread so far. I can get a .2 and 2x; though I don't know if I'd have any use for a 2x.

Admittedly, I am frustrated about what camera to get ie:120/330/110 albeit, very inclined to the 330 since the bluetooth seems to be going nowhere, like so many Sony marketing concepts! The 330 at least seems to have some extra quality built-in that isn't guised under some 'new fangled exclusive feature.' to justify its added expense.

thanks
--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

You can get the lens you want here, Doug:
http://www.royal-lens.com/

There are others, but I like dealing with Max. He carries the .3 and the .5 in both thread sizes.

The guy I shoot video for has been doing it for about 20 years, and he's getting a 330. Very thrifty fellow, too. Only drawback is the touch screen, in my opinion, and the way the camera's menu takes a couple more steps than my 120 to get where you want to go. And again, buying at the top just means you will have a little price remorse, but it'll be longer until you have New Camera Envy.

buying at the top just means you will have a little price remorse, but it'll be longer until you have New Camera Envy.

LOL! Well thanks J.P. as it is I just ordered the 330 on my Amex should be here Thurs/Fri... w/the 4.5 lens... I hope I didn't fuck it up!

You're the best!! thanks again

...Now for a new helmet, d-box.... ugh!!!!

--
I'm done with the personally meaningful and philosophical sigs!!

The 120 isn't being produced anymore, given time you'll have trouble finding stores that'll sell it.

The price on the 330 really isn't bad... It's a lot less then I paid for my 120 when it was new. Just two years ago the MSRP on the 120 was $1999 and I got it for a steal at $1300. Now the MSRP on the 330 is $1300.

If I were shopping for a PC camera right now, I'd be lookoing very hard at the 330.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Now the MSRP on the 330 is $1300.

Actually, MSRP is $1699.99 according to Sony.
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start;sid=ffsgyqJacXwgyp2FOmcqwe1Xso6kj4qzDEs=?CategoryName=dcc_DICamcorders_MiniDVHandycamCamcorders&Dept=dcc
----------
Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking. If you cheat, cheat death. If you steal, steal a woman's heart. If you fight, fight for a brother. If you drink, drink with me.