ifics

Sony Handycam DCR-PC330

This looks really cool. I notice the pc120 is now taken off the Sony website, so this appears to replace it in the line-up.

Also, you can get it at www.dbuys.com for $1,379

Apart from the larger resolution, they promise crisper colors. They've dropped the bluetooth.

No mini-DV cameras come with exchangable lenses like an SLR or larger production camera. Instead, you can add on "conversion" lenses to the end of the standard fixed lens.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I don't own a 330, would like to though but $$$ is an issue for me right now, but just read what both have to offer and see for yourself. 330 seems to be a much better camera than 120 in most of the features. Some website (sony included) have a comparison page that you can see the difference between them.

For me the 330 will be on my christmas list ;)

Ivan "Rock On"

The video is pretty much the same res, but the stills is what really improves. I wonder if there will be issues with finding the right helmets for this new cam....I'm looking to get a dbox...
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

I looked at the comparison pages and the 330 looks to be noticeably better than the 120 but I'm also interested in anyone's first hand experience with the camera just to see if it lives up to its billing...

It's a new camera, so I doubt you'll find anyone here that's used one.

That said, just keep in mind when you're browsing the feature list that most of those features will be meaningless to skydiving videos.

The biggest difference with this camera is the increased megapixel, which only applies to digital still pictures. The higher megapixel on its own means nothing to video quality - only still.

That said, there's some interesting marketing-speak about some color bullshit that I'm interested in understanding more. I'm very curious if it's anything like the Foveon X3, which is expected to bring 3-chip color to 1-chip cameras.

I'm certainly not going to run out and replace my pc-120, but I am curious about it.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

They are pretty similar in size

120= 2 1/4" x 4 3/4" x 4 1/2" Wt= 1 lb 4 oz.

330=2 3/8" x 4 3/4" x 4 1/2" Wt= 1 lb 3 oz.

The 330 appears to be a 1/8" smaller and 1 oz lighter. IMHO not worth $700.00

I will probably go with the 120. I hear you can get the 120 Tax title and license out the door for $1000.00 on the net somewhere.

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.
-BASE 1605 Night BASE 227

I think is the other way around, the 330 is 1/8 bigger, but lighter, and the main difference is not the video but the still pics, at 3.3 megapixels. From 1.5.

Does anyone have one of these?
"According to some of the conservatives here, it sounds like it's fine to beat your wide - as long as she had it coming." -Billvon

Found some info in a thread on camcorderinfo.com. The 30p progressive scan (improved slow-mo) seems like it might be useful for skydiving video. Can any of you experienced video folks out there comment on this?

Also, Sony claims 970k actual video pixels for the pc120 and 2048k for the pc330. Would this not make for improved video quality?

Hey-

Where did you buy it and what was the price. (PM me if you want to) I saw prices from ~$1300 to ~$1600 but was afeared, being the pansy that I am, of ordering from an unknown web-based company in order to save a few dollars.

Hope you get it soon so we can all hear how it functions!

I just broke down and ordered one. When I get it and get a d-box set up I will pass on any info I can come up with.

Right on, let us know when you get it all set up. I am ready to see some video from it. Also what size Memory card did you get?

OK through much research, I finally broke down and bought the 330. I guess I will find out first hand how good it really is. It just arrived at the door. I am on my way home from work to check it out. Stay tuned:)

You dont't get to choose how you're going to die. Or when.......You can only decide how you're going to live........NOW.

I ordered from Dbuys.com on Tuesday and it came today. I am at work now but my girlfriend said it came today. I was surprised to see it today. Mark, where did you order from?