hoym

What causes the sun spots on these pictures?

I expect there is a real photograph name for the sun spots that sometimes appear on some of the pictures that I take.

See the attached picture. It would have been a decent exit shot except for the hexagonal shaped sun spots.

So... does anyone know...
What are they really called?
What causes them?
How can I avoid getting them?

Thanks!

Hey Hoym,
I'm not sure what they are called either, but I believe they are caused by the sun reflecting off of the other elements in the lens onto the front element, where it is picked up on film.
Like marks said, a polarized filter should get rid of this. If you are already using a polarized thread then it is beyond me, hopefully some photo guru will answer this.
Good luck!
Miami

has anyone tried using a Star filter to deal with that effect?
I haven't tried with a digi yet, but used to borrow my fathers a lot when i knew i'd be shooting into the sun. It tended to pull as smooth highlight from the bright spot rather then the hex patterns that reflect your iris.
matt

What causes them?

Lens flare -- but I think you now know that.
Internal reflections of light inside the lens. Everytime light changes mediums (light to air for instance) the index of refraction changes and because of that some light is reflected. Because of the shape of the lens this reflection is off-set somewhat, bounces off the other side of the lens and bounces back again. Some of that light now goes on to the imager.

Solution? Have you thought of doing night jumps? ;)

Seriously, lens manufacturer's try to cut down on lens flare by coating the lens elements, but unfortunately, if you're shooting almost directly into the sun, like we sometimes HAVE to do in skydiving, there's really nothing you can do.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

try a polarized filter to put on your lense.. that should help reduce that.....

Actually, no. In reality you'll only add one more refraction to the mix and lose a couple stops of light.

I've found that a polarizing filter has very few uses in freefall or swoop shots. Certainly usful in some very specific instances, but as a rule . . . not so much.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What causes them?

Lens flare -- but I think you now know that.
Internal reflections of light inside the lens. Everytime light changes mediums (light to air for instance) the index of refraction changes and because of that some light is reflected. Because of the shape of the lens this reflection is off-set somewhat, bounces off the other side of the lens and bounces back again. Some of that light now goes on to the imager.

Solution? Have you thought of doing night jumps? ;)

Seriously, lens manufacturer's try to cut down on lens flare by coating the lens elements, but unfortunately, if you're shooting almost directly into the sun, like we sometimes HAVE to do in skydiving, there's really nothing you can do.

haha, I was trying to post just that when my computer went to hell.

Also: a star filter really isn't going to help, most likely the filter is of low quality (so many are) and will only make the flare worse.

Same thing with the polarized, they are more for reducing indirect light problems. They are good at reducing glare and haze. The only thing that I could think that they might do in a skydiving setting is to enhance the blue of the sky and make any clouds that are in the background stand out some. Thats one of the things that I used them for on the ground. I don't really have any experience with skydiving photography though, all my pictures have been taken on the ground.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

try a polarized filter to put on your lense.. that should help reduce that.....

Actually, no. In reality you'll only add one more refraction to the mix and lose a couple stops of light.

I've found that a polarizing filter has very few uses in freefall or swoop shots. Certainly usful in some very specific instances, but as a rule . . . not so much.

How about a circularly polarizing filter between the lens elements? (just brainstorming here, have done no analysis).

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.