freeflyanvil

canon 75 - 300 usm vs. 75 - 300 IS usm

I'm lookin' to get a decent zoom lens for my 10D and am currently trying out a friends canon 75 - 300 USM. It seems to work pretty good so far. While doing a bit of price shopping, I noticed that there is a IS version - I guess it's supposed to be for image stabilization or something. Has anyone had experience with this? One pretty big difference is the price - the IS is lots more. Is the IS really worth it?

Thanks

Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."

If you have the money and want to make sure shots are sharper from camera shake I would get the IS model.

The 75-300 is a good intermediate lens. The IS should make up for about 1 stop difference in shutter speed.

the 70-200f4 L is a pro series lens at a good price also. Much better glass.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com

The IS lens is really useful in low light situations. The directions that come with the lens are quite specific for describing the situation where it is useful.

I'll try to find the guide that came from the lens and edit this post tomorrow but from memory it says something like... to be used in low light, low shutter speed, stationary subject, hand held/no tripod.

I haven't experimented much with it yet. I've attached one picture that shows one example where the IS was helpful. It's a picture of my son.

This shot was hand held, at 1/15 of a second, at night, with no flash. I've done no post processing to it other than to make it small enough to upload here.

2003:07:25 09:47:46
41.0mm
1/15 sec, f/4.0
Metering: Partial
Exp comp: +1/3
ISO: 3200
Flash: Off
File size: 8,471KB
Image size: 3000 x 4500
Color profile: IEC 61966-2.1 Default RGB colour space - sRGB