Deuce

It blocks out the sun.

Every now and again doing RW camera work, I'll find my shadow over the formation and think, dang, that's cool....

So I'm looking at some pics I took recently and found the shadow of my 10D and 550EX on my subject (Iwan).

It's just kind of funny, so I thought I'd share it.

Different strokes I guess.

LOL, I agree. Don't sweat it Deuce, I'm sure you can photoshop that shadow out and have the million dollar shot;):D

Ack. I am just surprised sometimes at how big the setup is. It's nothing on McG, but it's still so big it's funny to see. I got a lot of good shots on that shoot, some really showed the pop that fill flash can give.

I'm digging it.

JP

Wow! I really like the Iwanpop1 shot.

Is there any way that you can take some pictures of and post to show the rest of us how you have the 550EX mounted?

I've already bought the extention cord [for my 420EX grumble, grumble, grumble (it's for sale by the way)].

I'm planning to build the mount for my new (yet to be purchased) 550EX over the winter time. And start working with flash this upcoming spring.

later days,
-mike.

Yeah, sorry, I wanted to get Evan M. to photograph it last weekend, but the godman gets busy, and I do stupid shit like chopping due to not cocking a pilot chute.

I am very proud of my Batrack side-top setup, and I'll post pictures as soon as I get them.. I might screen grab some right now.....

I love that effect. :)
Interesting yet useless bit of information. Let's say you are flying an aircraft in formation with a few other aircraft (like a 4-ship box). When you look at the shadow of the formation, that 'halo' effect will be around your aircraft only, and none of the others. I was absolutely mezmerised the first time I saw it.

During AFF videos, if the student seems to distracted by me in front of him, I'll pop up a few feet, out of their sight, and wait untill the JM's are finished with their stuff. Anyway, most of our JM's are good about turning the student toward the sun, and I found that while waiting to get back in front of the student, you can do shadow puppets on their rig at certain times of the day.

I love that effect. :)
Interesting yet useless bit of information. Let's say you are flying an aircraft in formation with a few other aircraft (like a 4-ship box). When you look at the shadow of the formation, that 'halo' effect will be around your aircraft only, and none of the others. I was absolutely mezmerised the first time I saw it.

The effect has a name - it's called a "glory".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Different strokes I guess.

I always feel bad when I have a shadow in the shot -- even if I have no choice in the matter -- like when I'm shooting 4-way.

I actually like to see my shadow in 4way shots, especially on the video. Like a ghost in the formation, and it reminds the team that I am actually up there. Also when there is a 5th member in the shot, your right where you need to be, and its a treat to see yourself in the group for a change, even if its a shadow.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!