1. Freefly (head down, etc)
2. Tandems
3. Big-way / competition

What is the best helmet configuration?

A. Side mount video (PC) + top mount still
B. Top mount video (TRV) + front mount still
C. Top mount video (PC) + top mount still

- Maximus

It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens.

I think that you will find that there is not necessarily a best helmet configuration that will help you get better video/pics for any of the disciplines that you mention.

A small list of some things that will give you better video/pics include…
1. Getting your body in position to get the best shot. There are three dimensions that you have to work with here. Up, down, left, right, and distance. As you progress, you will become more aware of and take into consideration... angle and position of the sun. What is in the back ground, airplane, a nice cloud, lake, landscape, town, other jumpers, dead spider, etc. You are not going to work with the zoom feature of your lenses/camera during a freefall. Your position controls the zoom. The right jumpsuit will help with getting into position quicker but I would say it is as much or more about flying skill than which suit you wear. Along with wearing the right attire is knowing if/when/and how much weight you might need to put in your weight vest in order to match the fall rate of the tandem customer or other subject.
2. Having your camera(s) and eye piece all in alignment so that the image that you are looking at is centered where you want it to be on all the cameras. (Read the articles on paralax(sp?) issues.)
3. Timing of knowing when to click the shutter release.
4. Higher quality film / cameras will give better results.

I started with a TRV on top. Later added a still on front. Moved to a PC on the side with the still camera still on the front. I’ve most recently switched to both still camera and PC style on top.

Where the camera is mounted doesn’t do diddly for getting a good shot. Flying skills will be the primary contributor to good camera work. But even that won’t do any good if the still camera points one way, the video points another, the zoom is different on both cameras, and the eyepiece points another direction and your head points another.

There was a recent thread about jump suits. I started with an old baggy flight suit with swoop cords about 12 years ago. Moved to a small wing tony suit 7 years ago. Moved to a large wing tony suit 3 years ago. I'm finally feeling good about the range that this suit has to offer but it has been a learning process all along the way.

Your question didn’t include camera helmet system safety issues when putting together a camera helmet but as an added note, as many posts have pointed out, be wary of snag points and practice the additional emergency procedures for entanglements.

Michael,

Thanks for the awesome reply! You have clarified a lot for me. I was in Vinton a couple of weeks ago - I'm not sure if I saw you. I was shooting PC side mount. I think my initial question would have been better phrased as Safest Video/Still Helmet Configuration. Is it safer to put everything on top / in front as opposed to having a side mount?

- Maximus

The safety thing is relative. Everything could be up top, and you may catch a line in your ringsite, which is irrelevant to the cameras.

I jump side mount video and top mount stills. I have not even had a riser strike in 400+ camera jumps.

We talk helmets all the time, but your rig and main are probably the biggest factor in creating/eliminating line snag issues.

When I first put on the sidemount, it felt weird as hell. At that point I really wished I had gotten a top mount setup. Top mount is easier on your neck and head with everything centered. I don't know if it's safer, cause when you get whooped back and forth by a slammer, that weight is farther from the pivot point in your neck.

Damn good note about the pivot point distance. Curious - what helmet do you use? I'm leaning toward that same configuration with a Bonehead Optik since I've already been jumping the side mount. My only nag about the side mount is that it tends to rub against the risers and makes it a little harder to film under canopy.

- Maximus

I have two. I use a Hawkeye LT for tandems and video only. It's lighter and more comfortable than my other helmet.

It's a BatRack with a 10D up top, connected via cable to a 550EX flash, also on top, both attached with stroboframe quick releases. My PC120 is on the side. It is a heavy setup. It's uncomfortable because I ratchet it down so hard to keep that weight controlled.

Diablopilot jumps the same amount of cameras including fill flash on his flat top pro. It's a nice setup, and if I had the money to get that helmet to start out with, I would suggest it. I've gotten used to sidemount, and I like it.

Most folks don't look down the line to what they intend to be jumping a year and a half later. A flat-top pro is a lot of helmet to just jump a PC camera. But if you're going to toss a stills and fill flash on there, or maybe a second video for competition, the big helmets with lots of mounting space are the way to go.

Oops. I guess I didn't understand the question correctly the first way I read it. I was going for best quality of shot/picture.

There are pros and cons to both types of set ups. I like the weight distribution of having a side mount pc camera. The closer I can get the weight of the camera to my shoulders, the less whiplash I feel with a too hard opening.

I think the camera helmet pictured in this post looks very cool. I've never seen one in person nor talked to anyone who has personal experience with it. Anyone who does, I'd like to hear about it. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=648180;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I think one of the best things a camera flyer can do to be safe (not hurt themselves) is to have a canopy that consistently opens very slow and soft.

A flat-top pro is a lot of helmet to just jump a PC camera. But if you're going to toss a stills and fill flash on there, or maybe a second video for competition, the big helmets with lots of mounting space are the way to go.

The flat top narrow is a good choice for a slightly lower profile than the pro. It is also about a half pound lighter than the pro. The top is set up to take a single trv style camera with front mounted stills. It makes a nice looking setup, and I have been very very happy with mine.
Miami

I have seen some people with the side mount camera box simply put a counter weight on the opposite side of the helmet. A 1 pound weight or whatever weight is close to the same weight as the camera and tape it down /secure it with gaffers tape and or drill holes and use plastic tie downs etc. to the helmet to act as a counter balance.

John Maggio