vdschoor

15mm fisheye on 35mm SLR

Hi,

Does anyone of you use the 15mm fisheye lenses on your normal 35mm SLR camera?
I know a lot of you use it on the 10D to get to a nice wide angle, but what about going to the extreme on the 35mm? Any comments? Or would that only be to get some 'fun shots' instead of nice pictures?

Thanks,
Iwan

Way back when I jumped a still camera...1984-1990, I used a 16mm lens pretty much every jump and I loved it. You have to be close but I loved the thing. Here are some old shots of mine...a lot were taken with the 16mm. I used to tape it to my foot and shoot crw, fasten it to the strut on cessnas, take it along on tandem jumps to take photos of me and my passengers...and just had a ton of fun with it.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

I would have to agree witht the 16mm (Nikon is 16mm, canon makes a 14 or 15mm...)

The key is that it is full frame. If it is not a full frame fisheye, thenyou will get the black corners (vignetting)...which is not bad if that is what you want.

I LOVE the full frame 16mm lens for a 35mm. 90% of my shots are with it. Fly close, and dont take pictures if you are more than 20' away, unless you dont care if the subject is really small in the frame.

here are my pics that have 16mm...

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/gallery/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Featured_Photographers/Jeff_Agard/Miscellaneous

the first three on the left are 16mm 9fullframe fisheye)

My self portrait, under canopy, is with an 8mm circular fisheye lens. I am holding my camera at arms length.

I love the look of extreme fisheye!

enjoy,
do what makes you happy.
jeff d-16906

One of the tandem video guys at my dz just switched to the 15mm lense for his Canon Rebel. The pics have been nothing short of amazing. He gets low on the tandem, angles his body up and gets the inflated drogue in the picture with room to spare. But you've definitely got to be close.

I have used the sigma 15mm fisheye for about 2 years now and love it. Get close..anything beyond about 10 ft is useless. I try to stay within 2 to 3ft. Works on tandems, freeflying, or RW. Close enough to dock is what you should be thinking with this lens. The canon lens is good, but there is less vignetting with the sigma(and it's cheaper). Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone! I just ordered the Sigma 15mm, I've seen most people use that one for a 15mm compared to the Canon one. I know Martijn van Dam uses a Canon quite often, but I don't know if it is worth the extra $300 to go with Canon.

Specially since this one will work on the 10D as well (and that one is in the works ;) )

Iwan

You're gonna love it!

I got it in the mail on Saturday, and I've been playing around with it a bit.
What I am wondering is, should I get a different lens for my video? Right now I have a Kenko .5 but I might have to go wider to make it more in line with the Fisheye right?

Any suggestions?

Iwan