SkymonkeyONE

Anyone playing with the blue tooth stuff on their PC 120?

Surfing the internet is perhaps the least interesting use of the technology.

Far more interesting is going the other way round.

Let's say you have a BlueTooth capable camera and a BlueTooth capable phone like the SE T68is. Ok, it's a POS as a phone, but the BlueTooth works remarkably well for the internet connection via AT&T GPRS.

Anyway, let's say you're shooting something of slight interest (an airshow for instance) and something very interesting happens (like the in-flight break-up of an F-117). With the phone you make a couple of calls to the local press, sell the frame grabs and upload them right there on the spot. Hell, since you're making a good chunk of change off this, you could even afford to email them the entire video clip (as long as it was within a reasonable size).

No driving like a mad man up to the station . . . just upload and collect your money! Pretty cool!
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Well here at Raeford, in our wireless environment which covers the majority of the DZ, my goal of to just be able to use my bluetooth modem adapter which has one of my wireless modem cards plugged in to upload live, straight to a folder on my computer for possibly faster editing.

I think you're going to find that BlueTooth is not really adequate for transfering video to your computer in real time. It just doesn't have the bandwidth to do it. Frame grabs and little mpeg movies, yes. Actual DV25, not so much.

You'd be -much- better off just hooking up a FireWire cable.
quade -

I've used it for test purpose. It is nice to have and after the first time I used it - WOW!!! Maybe you're doing a nice pic and send it to your friends back home via email or even a small video. Cool stuff, huh? Who will be able to surf and check his emails with a camera?

But in real life there is no use for it at all. It is just way to slow. And the navigation is also a pain in the a##

just my opinion...

It looks to be about as painful as surfing the web or sending E-mail from my cellphone, which is to say "it sucks." Still, it's an interesting gadget and I plan on playing with it in my spare time to see what I can get away with.

As to jumping the thing, my plan is to use it solely with a BoneHead fully articulated belly mount. My neck can't take a camera of any size, so this seems to be a good plan. I already have access to the belly mount, so I think I will play with it this weekend.

Cheers,

Chuck

Let's say you have a BlueTooth capable camera and a BlueTooth capable phone like the SE T68is. Ok, it's a POS as a phone, but the BlueTooth works remarkably well for the internet connection via AT&T GPRS.

Have you actually tried this with the 120BT?

I read on a website somewhere that the specifici implementation of bluetooth on the 120 is NOT standards compliant, and the device will not work with non-sony bluetooth receivers.

Suffice it to say, that no - I have not used the bluetooth features on my 120bt.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

SE T68is = Sony Ericsson cell phone.

But to be honest, no, I haven't tried sending anything via email from a 120BT.

I -have- surfed the web, sent email, et al, on my iBook via BlueTooth through the SE T68is.

I can't imagine that the 120BT would have an issue with the SE T68is since it's a strategic alliance thing with the cell phone company. I can imagine it being a pain in the ass to get the correct settings to do it. Sony (all of Sony) is notorious for making fantastic equipment that can do amazing things and being really stupid about how to explain to connect or operate them.

Even without looking at the 120BT I can safely say that it's burried deep within some obscure menu item that is labeled poorly and you'd probably overlook unless specifically told about it.
quade -

I can't imagine that the 120BT would have an issue with the SE T68is since it's a strategic alliance thing with the cell phone company.

You would think so.

However, read this: http://www.consumerdvreviews.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=221

I'd love to hear from someone who's actually gotten it to work. Being tied to the land line adapter that came with the 120 really limits its usability.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.