Rdutch

To D10 or not to D10?

Everyday I look at the D10's online, I get to the checkout and I just cant click the Buy icon. Im afraid that the second I do, Canon will release a newer cheaper, better camera. Has anyone heard any rumors about anything new in the Works from Canon? I talked to Norman Kent and he said he likes the Camera but it just isnt good enough yet for him, he wanted the Kodak but it wasnt fast enough. So should I just suck it up and buy the D10 or wait for the next best thing to come out?

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Everyday I look at the D10's online, I get to the checkout and I just cant click the Buy icon. Im afraid that the second I do, Canon will release a newer cheaper, better camera. Has anyone heard any rumors about anything new in the Works from Canon? I talked to Norman Kent and he said he likes the Camera but it just isnt good enough yet for him, he wanted the Kodak but it wasnt fast enough. So should I just suck it up and buy the D10 or wait for the next best thing to come out?

I know what i want, and that's a fullsize chip camera. Don't have nowhere near the €€€ for it tho, so, tough.

What I have got, is a Canon D30. Bought it when the D60 was already out, so I knew the next model was already there. But that was also the reason I got it with a huge discount.

Yeah, I want a D10. I wanted a D60. But I've so far shot almost 7000 pics with the D30, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Even tho it's 'old technology'...

Ya can't keep up with digital technology anyway, be it camera's, computers, whatever, unless you've got enormous amounts of cash, which most skydivers don't have... So if it's good enough for you now, why not buy it? I don't know you, but are you sure you need what someone like Norman Kent needs? Know what I mean?

OTOH, I admit would kinda suck if you got a D10 now and the next month there's a new camera out, but, so far I've heard no rumours...

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I was just dying to get a D60 ever since I saw Quade's in action last year. I was doing the same thing as you, log on, look. NoCanClicky.

Then they upped the features and dropped the price a grand and all kinds of us got off the fence. I think the price point is likely to stay about there, which is consistent with second-tier pro cameras. About $1500.

I'd guess that we'll see 12 megapixel cameras that shoot 10 FPS for 5 seconds in the next few years that will be helmet mountable. But even then the 10D will be shooting good enough pictures to blow up to 20 X 60 or whatever with fabulous results. The higher pixel rate cameras will just allow for more aggressive cropping.

The D60 is still very competitive with the 10D, but that price drop had to hurt the D60 folks!

The next best thing is always around the corner. My feeling is that when the next best thing gets here and it's good enough to compete with the next best thing for a few years, take the plunge.
I did, and I'm not sorry.

It is absolutely great fun.

The camera is a lot like any other electronic technology (computers, pda, cell phone). The longer you wait, the more you will be able to buy with less money. At some point, you just need to jump in. Canon released the D30 in Oct 2000 at a street price of about $2,800. The D60 in March '02 for about $1,900 and the 10D in March '03 for about $1,500. Each version improves on the previous. When will the next better/cheaper model come out? Probably 12 to 24 months from the previous one. It can be anyone's guess. If you have a need for a still camera and would like digital, this will work.

I think the camera is great. I like it much better than shooting film.

Good luck with your decision.
-mike.

Oh for cryin' out loud, buy the freekin' camera!

With your skills I'd imagine you'd make the money back pretty damn quick just on film & processing alone.

See, Q, it's that reverence for the specific technical details that makes us take pause whenever we see your name.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Well, some people need the guidance on the technicalities and some people just need a boot to the bum.

Ray knows what he's doing, so, he just needs to get kicked off the fence.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Well, some people need the guidance on the technicalities and some people just need a boot to the bum.

Consider me Kicked, thanks for help and the compliment, coming from you I apreciate it. Next week Im going to buy it. Now do I go with the Sigma lens, or kick out the extra change and get the canon 15?

Oh yeah sorry for the delay on the Video I talked to you about, my partner kind of fell out. But its 75% complete There is still a few things I want to work out, I would rather take forever and make a great product. But you will get the first one well before release, just so I can get your professional opinion.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Don't hang around.:)
I jumped my 10D this weekend with a sigma 15mm lens.

I am not joking when I say I have got the best shots I have ever had.

So good, that I sold my first "practice" Tandem stills there and then after showing them on the TV.

All I need do is learn what all those buttons do and what an f-stop is...........

As an aside, thanks for all the advice and help in this forum it is appreciated.;)

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

Consider me Kicked, thanks for help and the compliment, coming from you I apreciate it. Next week Im going to buy it. Now do I go with the Sigma lens, or kick out the extra change and get the canon 15?

Oh yeah sorry for the delay on the Video I talked to you about, my partner kind of fell out. But its 75% complete There is still a few things I want to work out, I would rather take forever and make a great product. But you will get the first one well before release, just so I can get your professional opinion.

CANON!

hey Rdutch, we met in Deland in april /may when i was out filming UK 4 way team V-max, I have jumped Canon's and Nikon's for years and the thought of going digital was a horrible one, could it match my current photography, would i be able to justify the expenditure.... etc etc

I made a choice the other week after weeks of deliberating, and bought a canon 10d and canon 15mm lens, i also bit the bullet and bought the canon i950 photo printer... quite some out lay...

any regrets.... nope, not 1, fantastic camera, fantastic results, and the a4 prints are unbelievable... I cannot sell enough, everyone wants instant images to take home, and i can now supply....

So now the burning question is what to do with the pentax 645 med format and nikon f100.

Hmmmm

Andy ford
Fordy