rhino

Sears.com digital cameras?? Suggestions?

Rhino, many people like the Sony F717. I have seen the pics from these, and they are great. On the sears website, it lists a refurbished one for $799, which seems to be a high price. If you go to the website *www.steves-digicams.com* they have several companies that list brand new ones for less than that. This Sony camera is very nice, however some people think that it is large as compared to some other cameras. This camera also has a feature called *night shot* . It lets you take pictures in low/no light situations. I've never seen any shots, so i can't say how good the night shots are. This camera would probably be pretty good for taking pictures after the jumping is done for the day, and the beer light comes on. This is probably the camera that I will buy.

However, sears does not show any Nikons. Many people like the Nikon 5700. Its more expensive than the sony, but its rated very high. This might be a camera that you would want to consider.

That website steves-digicams has some excellant write-ups on all of the cameras. that . They also list about 60 different stores and their prices just for comparison. Another site that compares the different cameras against each other is *www.dpreview.com*. These sites might help you decide.

I can't remember the website, but there was a camera forum. On this forum, people were discussing how they would take an ad into sears, and sears has a price matching policy. Sometimes the prices were $300 less on that sony F717. You might want to search for that camera forum. Also, be careful, some of the *cheap* stores don't sell all of the equipment/parts that come with the camera setup. They charge extra for these parts. Hope this helps. Good luck searching, its soooooo confusing!!!!!!:S:S:S

I see you jump at tecumseh. I was out there two weekends ago during that boogie. That was the first time i had been there, and i was totally impressed with the place. I'll probably make that my home dropzone. Take care!!

I've been researching digital still cameras for freefall use and IMHO I dont think they really do the job yet.
The problem I have with good mid priced 5Mpix cameras like the Nikon Coolpix 5700 or the new 5400 is the download time. That is the 2 - 3 seconds that it takes to load the image to the storage medium before you can take another shot. You can speed this up by reducing the image quality until you are left with the same crap still images that you get off digital video. Personally I like to be able to shoot in bursts and immediately be ready to shoot again, which you can only do at present with a film camera.
Also, with film you are getting an image quality equivalent to 18 - 20 Mpix.
If you dont want the camera for serious freefall work and dont want to print larger than say A4 then a good quality 3 Mpix digital would be great. Convenient to use and cheap to run. Anything more than that is, I think, an expensive toy.
I've no doubt that eventually film will be obsolete and digital will rule but its not yet.