danwayland

Panasonic DVD EMR-E30 Recorder Review

I purchased the Panasonic DVD EMR-E30 Recorder with the intent of adding it to Skydive Orange's student video program.

Dissappointment abounds. I burned two different brands of DVD-Rs and neither one played in my home DVD player, and neither one played in the hanger DVD player. They played in the Panasonic EMR30 that burned them, but as far as I could tell, not much else. Not to condusive to a student program.

I searched the forum and found some specific model numbers for computer component burners as well some very helpful info on DVDs and their different formats and compatibilities as well. But it seems that not all DVD-R burners are created equally because a DVD-R from my friend's computer does play in both the hanger and my home.

My forum search also provided some evidence that some people have standalone models that they are happy with as part of their student program, but I couldn't find any specific model #s for the standalones.

Anybody know of any models that work a little better?

P.S.
Whilst I'm pooling the great unwashed masses for general information on my employers dime, let me ask yet another, related question. What the heck format are the DVDs at Blockbuster video? They seem to work in most everybody's player. Why can't we get a burner that burns DVDs just like those?

back to the salt mines,
--
Dan Wayland
http://www.danwayland.com

Whilst I'm pooling the great unwashed masses for general information on my employers dime, let me ask yet another, related question. What the heck format are the DVDs at Blockbuster video? They seem to work in most everybody's player. Why can't we get a burner that burns DVDs just like those?

The DVDs at Blockbuster (and just about any mass-produced DVD, for that matter) are pressed, as in made mechanically, and are not burned in the same process as a DVD or CD burner. Not all players can play all burned discs (and some can't play any!) . Similarly, some CD players made before CD burning became popular can't read burned CDs. Read this for more info.

(Aside for the geeks: I can't find a webpage that comes right out and answers the questions, "Why can't some DVD players play burned DVDs", and "What is the difference between burned DVDs and mass-produced DVDs," in language the average consumer can understand. Somebody should write them.)

Dan,

We have 2 panasonics at skydance, CA. What you need to do is Finalize the DVD. Look in the manual and it should be there.

We r still figuring ours out. But they work fine.

Look in to it and let me know if you get it fixed.

Cheers.
www.canopyflightcenter.com
www.skydivesac.com
www.guanofreefly.com