pkasdorf

Helmet with flip-up lens, any preferences?

carbon fiber helmets are not that strong, they will crack fairly easily if drop them....

edit to add: if you are looking for protection, get a ProTec

---------------------
Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!

carbon fiber helmets are not that strong, they will crack fairly easily if drop them....

edit to add: if you are looking for protection, get a ProTec

I have cracks in my Z1 without dropping it!

The primary merit of CFRP is its very high stiffness/weight ratio. It also has a high strength/weight ratio. It is not at all clear how that translates into the protective properties of a helmet. Strong and stiff are not necessarily better for shock absorbtion.

The design and fabrication/materials used in a helmet really require that its purpose be well defined. What exactly are you expecting the helmet to protect against?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Why the preference for dyeing vs. films?

I would have thought that with all of the excellent optical quality films for automotive use that it would be far easier to apply and with the added benefit that it would provide scratch resistance for the lens. (you could simply peel off the scratched or scuffed film and replace it.
Lou

Why the preference for dyeing vs. films?

I would have thought that with all of the excellent optical quality films for automotive use that it would be far easier to apply and with the added benefit that it would provide scratch resistance for the lens. (you could simply peel off the scratched or scuffed film and replace it.

Just telling how I do it. Can you get a gradient tint with a film?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

The Oxygn A3 from Sky Systems is my helmet of choice for RW. I have a Sky Systems Hurricaine on the way for AFF (our DZ requires hard helmets for instructors) but still wear a frap hat for tandems. My A3 has a ton of jumps and a ton of tunnel time on it and is in perfect condition.

Tim
Maggot:ph34r:

Oxygen A3 or Parasport Z1?

I jump with the Oxygen A3, and have never had any issues with the product, the flip-up visor comes in handy on early morning loads or the last load of the day, otherwise I tend not to lift my visor up, as I found the repeated moving caused what I would call stress lines on the visor, they don't get in the way of your sight but do make the visor look older than what it is.

I now hardley ever lift the visor, the airflow and visibility are awesome, the fit is tight yet comfortable with a simple single closing device, which makes it easy to slip on just before exit. I would give the Oxygen A3 10/10 as a product worth buying.

On the other hand my girlfriend jumps a Z1, and has been happy with the product, there have only been a few issues that I can speak of, the plastic bolts which secure the visor to the helmet are quite easily broken, most of the Z1 on our DZ now use self tightening metal bolts, I was able to have a new set delivered, so the after sales service is great.

On occasion either through a hard opening or riser slap, the Z1 has either come loose or fallen off (only once), but survived the fall with a few scratches. My advice would be to have one that fits snugg so it wont come off on a hard opening.

Our friend has lost hers about three times during deployement.

Hope that helps with the queries.

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

Z1 is very robust. I've talked to a jumper, whose Z1 was ripped off by risers at 3K. He found it later on the ground. The only thing wrong with the helmet, was a small scratch. Both of his audibles were just fine. How's that ?;)

Oxygen is the best (IMO). I have three, they rock, and are more solid on my head than Z1s.
replacement lenses are not the best though, and are not formed like the original.
I replace the lens on my primary A3 (about every 100 jumps (twice/year). Lucky I'm freeflying alot (with an openface) or I would be changing it more often. The lens life is a bit short, but the helmet fit and performance is worth it.
Troy

I am now free to exercise my downward mobility.

On the other hand my girlfriend jumps a Z1, and has been happy with the product, there have only been a few issues that I can speak of, the plastic bolts which secure the visor to the helmet are quite easily broken, most of the Z1 on our DZ now use self tightening metal bolts, I was able to have a new set delivered, so the after sales service is great.

First I've ever heard that said about the Z1. Was that Parasport's service or another company like Unfeathered?

Dave

The Z1 in question was purchased though Total Control in Australia (as they had the best deal on a full face) and was shipped to South Africa.

When the plastic bolt broke on impact with the ground, I contacted Total control, who said that they had given up their ParaSport dealership due to poor after sales service, I then contacted Unfeathered who forwarded my e-mail to ParaSport, it took about 3 or 4 e-mail to ParaSport of which I included Unfeathered and the bolts did finally arrive.

I don't think I would have had such a good response from ParaSport if it were not for Unfeathered who took the time to help chase up my request.

Our two or three gear stores here don't hold any stock, and only order on request and thats normally through Unfeathred.

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

The Z1 in question was purchased though Total Control in Australia (as they had the best deal on a full face) and was shipped to South Africa.

Thats not a Z1 then - thats a copy called a Cougar. Total Control do not stock the Z1 but can get it in. The one with the crappy bolts is NOT genuine.

Still I think my Cougar provides better protection than the Z1 although its a little "rough round the edges" and the plastic bolts were replaced the day I got it for some metal ones.

sorry to disapoint the helmet purchased from Total control was a ParaSport Z1 (it even says so on the lable).

But I still would recommend the Oxygen over any other full face with a flip-up lens.