fonzi

problems compressing footage for web display

hi everybody,

i started making videos from funjumps and wanted to display them on my website.

i use a pc6 and capture via firewire with adobe premiere 6.0

when i export the timeline i want to use divx 5.0.5 (was recommended by some users in a german newsgroup). i read the manual but still have problems.

my clip is 57 seconds and i thought it must be possible to compress it at a size of 320x240 down to lets say around 3mb.

either i have a shitty quality or a size of about 15mb in decent quality.

can any of you guys and gals tell me what is the best method/codec to be used with adobe premiere, in order to compress a minute of captured mini-dv footage to a size of around 3mb for a display of 320x240?

thanks and
RHYTHM AND BLUES[kies]
fonzi

not very elaborated for the moment, but i am trying hard ;-) ->
http://skyfreak.freezope.org

DivX has a couple of settings (smoothness and sharpness? something like that) that you can change to use greater or lesser compression and therefore more or less space. Try fiddling with them and see what happens.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

I know everyone out there and their grandmaz too hate Real but we use it for professional production all the time - try that. Or Windoze media...

MediaCleaner which I thought comes with Premeire should be able to help you out with those two formats...

IMHO

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

I know everyone out there and their grandmaz too hate Real but we use it for professional production all the time - try that. Or Windoze media...

the thing is that i do not achieve sizes less than 8mb for a minute of raw (just captured and maybe deinterlaced) mini-dv footage in a format of 300x240.

MediaCleaner which I thought comes with Premeire should be able to help you out with those two formats...

i tried and played around checking nearly all possibilities, but the output was not satisfying me at all.

how big is a minute of mini-dv footage when you guys compress for displaying on the web?

anyone has got some samples? which url?

bs,
fonzi

DivX has a couple of settings ... Try fiddling with them and see what happens.

and that is the point, i read the f**** manual (which is not much by the way) and tried so many times. the best i could achieve was something around 4.3mb for a minute in 300x240

may i pose the same question to you... any samples around on the web you did?

bs,
fonzi

the best i could achieve was something around 4.3mb for a minute in 300x240

i forgot to mention, that 4.3 wouldn't be too bad, if the quality was worth it, put at that rate the clip was really kind of "mosaic" really bad "pixeled" (do not know how to describe it.

bs,
fonzi

may i pose the same question to you... any samples around on the web you did?

There is/was a video of mine here that's 320x240, 7mins 22secs long, Windows Media (346Kbps) format and 19megs.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com