zaGURU

recovery system in new helmets??

I was wondering why in new camera helmets there is no recovery system but just a cut away system. Does anybody have a motivation about it?

Thanks!

Seriously?

You gotta be kidding?

Almost every really cool invention in skydiving today (Cypres, Dytter, BirdMan, skysurf . . .) was the result of somebody taping into their own creativity and going beyond what would normally be considered to be "my job".

Think about it for a bit, decide what you'd want this recovery system to do and go beyond your self imposed limitations and figure out how to make one!

If you can't do it, then don't expect anyone else to do it for you.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Not kidding, the system exists, I saw it 7 years ago, I can't remembar the manufacturer, the small parachute was inside the helmet between top plate and head. My question is: why today nobody sell it??

You must be talking about the Leo Dikinson system discussed in this thread

I've googled for a picture to no avail, and have yet to come up w/ some creative way to pack my old PC in my helmet and wear it with out fuss.

Have to agree w/ Quade though. And I tell ya, when I thunk it out, I'm gonna be rich:D

Oh, I know that people have said it existed in the past on some individual set-ups, but I don't think it was ever offered as a manufactured system. I could be wrong there, but I don't think so.

Anyway, my guess as to why helmet manufacturers don't do this is, there isn't a lot of demand for it.

I doubt that if offered as an extra on my next camera helmet, I'd buy it. I just don't see the need. If for some reason I have to cutaway my helmet, I want that thing falling away clean. I couldn't care less if the $3000 worth of camera are gone forever as long as I'm alive.
quade -

The need of it, in my opinion is to avoid to kill somebody in the ground and to avoid to keep a falling helmet on my head when I'll open the reserve. My english sucks, hope you understand me...

I -completely- understand the reasoning.

I just don't see the need.

Yes. My camera helmet could certainly kill somebody on the ground. Absolutely without a doubt. I think a recovery parachute large enough to prevent that from happening would have to be pretty large and I don't think there's enough room anywhere on my helmet for that to go. I haven't done any actual research or crunched numbers to the problem, but I'm thinking at least 48 inches in diameter.

As for the helmet falling on my head when I open my reserve -- the correct procedure is cutaway the helmet first, cutaway the main, then deploy the reserve. If the helmet is caught on the main, I assume it's probably going to stay entangled with it.
quade -

The dickinson helmet was a manufactured one That you could buy öf the rack"I have one at home.I shall see if i can take some pictures of it:ph34r:

If people from Poland are called Poles, why aren't people from Holland called Holes???
My logbook

I was wondering why in new camera helmets there is no recovery system but just a cut away system. Does anybody have a motivation about it?

Thanks!

Bob Halett has a camera helmet in his office with a cutaway and parachute deployment system on it, The problem with it, is the way it is made, a premature deployment of the parachute will rip your head off! I dont know who makes the helmet, but I have seen it a bunch of time's, I even talked about it with Norman Kent, and he said the same thing. Maybe if you could place a pilot chute inside the helmet to avoid ripping your head off, and manufacture a deployment system that would fire when the helmet left your head (this would be a little tricky to 100% engineer) Also all this stuff adds weight, granted 10 years ago all camera helmets were heavy (I got tired carying Gus Wings helmet and had to change hand's) But with as spoiled as I am today, and everyone else, I dont really think me or anyone else want's to add weight to our helmet's.
But if you, or someone comes up with it, I would definitely look at it seriously, camera gear is expensive so saving it is good.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

The Dickinson has a parachute in the inside, the bridle goes from the pc to the cut away handle, so when you throw away the helmet your hand will take the parachute out, I saw it working and it works well. No extra weight (not more than a wide angle adapter...).

May be yes, may be not.. but I remember when I was at my static line course (96) tha I saw that helmet falling close to me ( I was just landed), the camera did't brake, just the door tape broke, it was an old video8. I guess the system should be valid for light weight camera helmet (side camera). I guess pc is not the answer but a good and well done camera helmet is the answer, with all the equipment well disposed...