Ramjet11

G3 vs Odyessy

I own both...but the odyssey...WAY MORE COMFORTABLE!!! I am not going to get into safety details about tucktabs, etc. Everything is TSO'd and there are no problems freeflying in either of them. Given that they are both safe, you should go on comfort & looks. I personally thing that the Javelin looks much nicer. That may not be your opinion, but if you are going to go on comfort...try on an odyssey. I feel paranoid sometimes because I forget that I have a rig on. Its the best rig on the market, in my opinion.

From what I hear, the lead times are a bit long, so order now. If you want to bitch about how a company is run...I would definately rather deal with SunPath, than Mirage...that place is a Mickey Mouse operation, I guess they learned that from the start though. :)
Buy an Odyssey. Most mirage owners that I know wish they did. Again, I have both, and its like night & day wearing those rigs.

I am currently a Wings owner that repacks Javelins and owned a G3.

I find the workmanship on the Mirage second only to RWS, though the company is run a bit on the Mickey Mouse side of things. The main reason I gave up my G3 was that the company was inflexible and hard to deal with. By comparison, I find the overall riser/pin protection and durability is better, plus there is a hellasish spring on the reserve p/c. If someone collides with my rig, I'd rather have the G3 on.

The Odyssey is more comfortable from what I have heard and comes in lots of pretty fabrics. As a rigger, it is an easier packjob than a Mirage. I am not sold on the chest rigs though. With every Odyssey I tried on, the main lift web contorts 90 degrees from chest ring to hip ring, which gives me bad juju. The Javelin is so incredibly popular I don't think the rig owners are really looking at how they are built or work. It is an incredibly successful design, but I think the overall conception of the rig is ageing a bit... I was also ignored by this company when I called with an important rigging question, so they lost points there...

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

If I had to choose, I would buy a G3!!

The Odyssee has the same Bridle protection than the "old" Javelin.

And this protection is surely worse than the bridle protection of the G3.
Some guys told me that SOME Odyssees are bad processed compared to normal Javelins and other rigs.

In my opinion i would save the money and buy a Wings or a Tear Drop SF.

Both are great rigs, both have the same if not a better pin protection as the Mirages (G3/G4).
Wings are Javelin clones but Sunrise mixed the best of both worlds: Semi pop top like Javelin, bridle protection like Mirage.
Tear Drop Superfly's (SF) are also great.
They're really cheap and safe (best reserve- /main-pin protection on the market, very safe reserve deployment) and looks imho great.
The Tear Drop SF hold also TSO c23d.

I totally agree. Both are very safe, but which one is better looking or comfortable is everyones personal opinion. For some more comfortable means "having a brick on their backs" for others it's "soft as it can be"... it's like ice cream indeed.

I like chocolate ;)

"George just lucky i guess!"

But if you have your mind made up that it's either a Mirage or an Odyssey for you, you should know that current delivery time for a custom Odyssey is running sixteen to eighteen weeks.

All that _and_ you get to pay a small fortune to have a Jav? What a deal!

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

All that _and_ you get to pay a small fortune to have a Jav?

It's amazing how "brand loyal" and easily swayed by advertising skydivers can be. I've told people that the custom Javelin they are ordering in March will be done in July, then I tell them they can have an Infinity by the end of April, a Wings, Voodoo, Talon 3 or Mirage by the middle of May, a Vector3 by the middle of June... and they insist on the Javelin because "it's the best" - and somehow they know this without ever jumping anything else.

All that _and_ you get to pay a small fortune to have a Jav?

It's amazing how "brand loyal" and easily swayed by advertising skydivers can be. I've told people that the custom Javelin they are ordering in March will be done in July, then I tell them they can have an Infinity by the end of April, a Wings, Voodoo, Talon 3 or Mirage by the middle of May, a Vector3 by the middle of June... and they insist on the Javelin because "it's the best" - and somehow they know this without ever jumping anything else.

Sounds like the people who don't like to beleive Derek that Javalins have the same manufacturing issues as every other rig, and that for awhile there wasn't 2 rigs that were the same, little things tweaked here and there, it was like they were doing R&D with rigs in the field.
Fly it like you stole it!

If its opinions you want here's mine. I've jumped a friend of mines g3 and g4(he's very similar in size to me) and they dont even come close to being as comfortable as my odyssey. I have had no problems with my rigs design and am 110% happy with it. If you get one you will not be disappointed.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

even my buddy who had the g3 and g4 said he wasnt happy with the way the rig hung most of the wieght on his shoulders. And to me comfort is not being able to remember wearing a rig until I go to deploy for the last 350 jumps, but thats just me

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

They insist on the Javelin because "it's the best" - and somehow they know this without ever jumping anything else.

I've noticed the same thing with Javelin fans.

I also here criticisms of Wings as Javelin "spin-offs". The fact is, it is a spin off done by the original Javelin designer with all of his new innovations. I think of it as a more up to date Javelin for newer faster forms of skydiving i.e. better bridle protection, TSO23d from the start, stronger p/c spring. Perhaps we should call Javelins antiquated Wings...

-Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when