skydvrvalco

seat belts

And as far as I'm concerned...helmets, cameras, hand grenades & ham sandwiches need to be secured during take-off as well.

as far as I'm concerned - if you lose control of your ham sandwich at any time during the flight, it's fair game

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

We were all in agreement that, if he did not see sufficient openings in the clouds at breakoff to opening altitude, we would ride the plane down.

If you want to jump and I do not, and the pilot has turned on the green light, I will do nothing to impede your safe exit. After that, you are on your own.

1st comment - It's amazing what having a plan and agreement ahead of time does to simplify things. That's a good lesson.

2nd comment - I completely agree with that plan - the pilot can choose to release the load. We choose as individuals to jump. If there is a disagreement in that scenario (between jumpers, or the pilot and anyone), the time to discuss it is coolly afterward on the ground. (as I stated exactly earlier)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

THIS idiot, on take-off, maybe 1-200 ft off, gets up off the Otter straddle bench back by the pilot, leaves his PX sitting there, climbs over everyone to get to the door and screams at the they guy in the door (me) to open it and leave it open on take-off. ...and then threatens, "Or I'll kick your ass"....door stayed closed.

Wouldn't happen more than once if I ran the DZ.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

"

I don't think personally that the seat belt will help much in an accident, but it might keep the bodies from all ending up in one small spot. ....

"

I am backing the original poster.

Learn from my experience ... the bottom of a "dog pile" is a miserable place!
I was only on the bottom of a "dog pile" for a few seconds, but it was a year before I could walk without pain!
Then the airplane spun around and finished its slide, going backwards.
I ended up on the top of the "dog pile," but the guy who ended up on the bottom of the "dog pile" suffered such massive injuries that you will never be able to live alone again!

Then another instructor - who was not involved with the crash - decided that it was fun to play practical jokes and tease me about seat-belts. The mental stress forced me out of the skydiving business!

Bottom line: if another skydiver refuses to wear a seat-belt, I am off the plane.

THIS idiot, on take-off, maybe 1-200 ft off, gets up off the Otter straddle bench back by the pilot, leaves his PX sitting there, climbs over everyone to get to the door and screams at the they guy in the door (me) to open it and leave it open on take-off. ...and then threatens, "Or I'll kick your ass"....door stayed closed.

That attitude is one of the reasons I love and respect you.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That attitude is one of the reasons I love and respect you.

I find it hard to believe that any DZO would continue to employ a TI like that. Right off the top of my head, this guy -

- Busted the seat belt rule by unfastening it below 1000ft (or whatever the DZ mandates)

- Left his student alone in the front of the plane

-Requested the door be opened when the jumper sitting next to it (presumably) was still wearing a seat belt

-Threatened violence against another jumper

-Threatened violence against another jumper in front of a student (aka a paying customer).

..all in the course of 30 seconds. This is not the guy I want in my plane, jumping my gear, working with my customers or representing my business. Truthfully, I find it hard to believe that any grown man would act that way, but if there's one thing there's never a shortage of at the DZ, it's surprises.

Sad but true, Dave.

Good news is that he didn't last long and was gone a month or so later. The DZO gave him more than ample opportunity to clean up his act. Too much BS from him piled up and the DZO, much to his credit, sent him on his way.

Had I been the DZO, he would have been off the property within the hour of the plane incident.

I don't think personally that the seat belt will help much in an accident, but it might keep the bodies from all ending up in one small spot. Maybe make it easier for the EMS to locate everyone or if it just a slight bump ( is that possible?) keep everyone from landing up on top of one person.

Just like with automobiles, a seatbelt probably won't save your life in a catastrophic crash (though it's possible). However, the reason for the FAR & BSR requiring seatbelts during takeoff, landing & taxi is to help prevent injuries during "minor" bumps, bangs, abrupt maneuvers, etc.

"I don't think personally that the seat belt will help much in a (MAJOR) accident, but it might keep the bodies from all ending up in one small spot. Maybe make it easier for the EMS to locate everyone or if it just a slight bump ( is that possible?) keep everyone from landing up on top of one person.

Wow, I accidental leave out one word and it just keeps on coming.......!

Of course it will help and make a difference in a non fatal, minor accident. As I said, I always wear one and it is so ingrained that I generally reach for one on my motorcycle.
Dano

i was at a boogie, there were some big white puffies but plenty of holes. one guy on the load said to the entire load, "if i can't see the ground, no one is getting out of this plane.

my favorite reply was, "if the pilot puts on the green light, you can get the fuck out of my way!"

that guy was a dick, you not so much

Now we've gone from talking about seat belts to cloud clearances. let's not mudy the water. Again, other than inconvenience/uncomfortable, what is a valid reason for not wanting to wear a seat belt during take off? [:/]

i was giving the op props for handling it the way he did. there was something he didnt like going on on that load. instead of being a dick, like the guy in my story, and making a scene he took it on himself to get out of the plane.

he handled the situation properly.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

i was giving the op props for handling it the way he did. there was something he didnt like going on on that load. instead of being a dick, like the guy in my story, and making a scene he took it on himself to get out of the plane.

he handled the situation properly.

:)I agree 110%.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

in reply to "Now I am disliked and considered to be the asshole who had the audacity,to insist that all jumpers comply with the most basic BSR.Seeking sugestions on how to handle this. She still doesn't wear the seatbelt. I can't fix stupid. or can I?
"

I'm interested in how the people who consider you an asshole for being safety conscious are getting on.

Have they got over it ?....
or are they still being delusional??

I'm interested in how the people who consider you an asshole for being safety conscious are getting on.

Have they got over it ?....
or are they still being delusional??

"delusional"
:D:D

You're too kind.
:D:D