RevJim

TRV 19

Pro's? Con's?

I'm finally thinking of ditching the crappy JVC. (In other words, I think I can sneak this purchase by my wife)

I want a TRV style camera, and this is the cheapest I've found with firewire.
Does anyone here use one? I also have to ask, does it have a LANC port? It's not listed on sony's website, like it is for some other cameras. I don't want to buy one and still not be able to use a CamEye.

Any opinions?
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

I tried that link, and was happy to see it did say it had a LANC port. Then I saw it was a link for a TRV 38. Oops!

I dug a little more and found this:TRV 19
This page does show the TRV 19 as having a LANC port. That pretty much made up my mind! Now to sneak it past the wife....
It's your life, live it!

I'm sure Quade could answer this better, and maybe if we're lucky, he will.

You have/had a PC style? I guess that depends on where you had the PC mounted, and if it was in a D box or not. The TRV style is like the older style of camcorders, short, fat, and long. The PC's are thinner and taller. The D boxes are different. If you were using a side mount, I'd say probably not, though I'm sure people have done it. If you were using a top mount for the PC then, yup, as long as it wasn't in a D box.
It's your life, live it!

Wierd. Sony's website (as I linked to) says the TRV 19 has a LANC, but the review site saya it does not? Did Sony change something?

OK, does anyone actually HAVE one of these? I sure ain't gonna order it with conflicting information!
It's your life, live it!

I went to a Good Guys the other day and actually touched a TRV19. I suggest that everyone actually touch a piece of camera gear before ordering one on-line. There's a lot to be said for holding a piece of equipment in your hands and getting an actual feel for it.

Anyway, at some point before this next Nationals, I'll probably own a TRV19 and at some point after Nationals that will probably be my primary video camera. From what I remember, it certainly -did- have a LANC port because that was on my checklist of items I wanted to see, but now that people have brought up the question, I'll have to go revisit the store and check it out yet again just to be anal about it.

The thing that struck me about this particular camera was that for a base model camera everything seemed to be there and in a very small size too. The ONLY drawback to this camera is the same thing that's been bugging me about so many Sony cameras -- the bottom loading issue. To get around this and to solve a couple of other issues I've been using a Bonehead dBox, but I don't know if Bonehead has anything that will fit this camera yet.

Honestly, I'd like to be able to NOT have to use a dBox, because that makes in-flight debriefs kind of a hassle. However, there's a LOT to be said for the protection the dBox gives the camera. My current primary video camera is a TRV10 which I've been using for the last 3.5 years. The thing looks damn near new and it's only been in the shop once because I wore out the tape transport. I've really gotten my money out of that camera and I owe that in large part to the Bonehead dBox.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Thanks for the reply Quade. I'd love to actually touch one of these, but living up here in the middle of Bum F@#k Wisconsin, nobody carries anything worth holding!
My second option to driving many hours just to look at one is asking here for opinions of it.
Let us know your final impressions, and the LANC port issue. My purchase hinges on that opinion!
It's your life, live it!

FireWire is a digital connection (also known as IEEE 1394 and i.LINK). Really nice if you want to connect your camera to a computer for downloading and editing video or connecting two cameras together to make perfect copies. Pretty much a go/no-go decision for most camera flyers.

LANC is a type of control port for the cameras. It's required in order to use the CamEye II that so many camera flyers also pretty much see as a go/no-go decision.

Pretty much all modern miniDV cameras from Sony have both, but as always, check before making an actual purchase.
quade -

"Quade " I would be interested in finding out why you would spend so much money on your still camera and then consider a TRV 19 which is at the very bottom of the price range for digital video . It's not that i think the TRV 19 is a bad camera but there are lot of better ones out there . Just trying to get your thought on it .

It's not that i think the TRV 19 is a bad camera but there are lot of better ones out there . Just trying to get your thought on it .

Define "better". Better how?

I'm looking at the TRV19 because it serves the function I need, at lowest price I need to pay.

Essentially all the single-chip video cameras in the Sony miniDV line have the same video output specs. You can pay more for a larger LCD screen, or something else in the camera, but when the photons meet the CCD and get turned into digital video, they're all pretty much the same.

I will admit that if I needed a THREE-chip video camera I'd be looking much higher up the food chain, but in the single-chip camera lines, -I- have no real need.

BTW, the same formula goes to my still camera purchase. I had certain requirements and they could only be bought for a certain price -- no lower. I certainly -could- have purchased a more expensive camera, but I didn't see the need.
quade -

Quade,

In terms of choosing one of the Sony models, would one equipped with a Zeiss lens also be a go/no-go decision?

Also, would you prefer to have Steady Shot or Super Steady Shot?
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

680K Pixels Gross vs.1070K or 1550 Mega Pixels Gross ? Video Actual Resolution ,340k , 690k,970k, ?
Lens diameter 30 mm or 37mm, ?

Horizontal Lines of Resolution 500, 520 , 530, Night shot vs, super night shot ? Steady shot or super steady shot ?
It all gets pretty confusing , That is why i asked your opinion , I have been using a PC1 in a sidewinder for the last 2 years, This year i went with a flat top camera helmet and am looking for a TRV style camera to go with it ,

Yep, I just went for a walk down to the local Sony Store and checked out the TRV19...in addition to the Zeiss lens and Super Steady Shot mentioned by Quade, it also has a LANC port.

The port is on the right hand side of the camera (when looking through the viewfinder) and might be a bit awkward in a sidemount situation as it is on the side that would be next to the helmet on a left side mount. Nothing you couldn't accommodate by drilling out a small hole in the helmet...in some respects it might even be more convenient being on the right side as you could run the plug to the camera directly from inside.

Nice looking camera!

No memory stick for stills...but that is about it.

The price is right...$999 Canadian or about $699 US.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey

680K Pixels Gross vs.1070K or 1550 Mega Pixels Gross ? Video Actual Resolution ,340k , 690k,970k, ?
Lens diameter 30 mm or 37mm, ?

Ok the pixel count thing on the VIDEO side of things just doesn't matter beyond a certain point. That point is already exceeded by the TRV19. It has a direct effect if you want to use the camera as a digital still camera, but frankly, that's not an option so you can just throw those specs out the door. Nice marketing tool, but sorry, wrong market.

Lens diameter . . . frankly again, who gives a rats ass? Not me, since I'll probably use my existing Sony wide angle lens anyway and it's already a 30mm. IF you really needed something wider than the Sony 0.6 wide angle, you could always use a step up ring if you had to. That's what I do on my backup TRV8. It has 30mm threads and I stepup to 0.42 wide with 37mm threads. Not that big a deal unless the wide angle lens creates some sort of vignetting.

As for the horizontal lines of resolution . . . the limiting factor there is actually the miniDV compression so, you can pump a higher resolution INTO the compression chips, but what ultimately comes OUT of them . . . guess what . . . it's all the same and again it's already been exceeded by the TRV19. Again, good marketing ploy, but sorry, wrong market (from me anyway).

[rant]
I will go so far as to say that I will give $10 to anybody that can prove to me that the final output off a recorded tape looks any better from ANY of the other single-chip Sony cameras than the TRV19. This being, of course, BEFORE putting some goofy-assed wide angle lens on it, 'cause after that -- all bets are off. My personal opinion about all of the wide angle lenses I've seen to date isn't very gleeful. As far as I'm concerned, they all look like crap which is another thing (see, now ya got me started) once you put that wide angle lens on, all the pretty specs about resolution go out the door -- 'cause like I said, they're all crappy. Some are less crappy than others, but for really CLEAN video you'd be better to do without them, unfortunately, that's not an option for most of what we do AND it doesn't matter either since you're going to be dubbing down to a really crappy VHS tape anyway! Whooo! Now I'm startin' to get really pepped up!
[/rant]
quade -

murrays,

How about this quote from the review above..."The DCR-TRV19 also has no microphone in...". Are they blowing smoke here as well, or does this video camera not have ability to record sound?

Oh, and btw, the viewfinder sees in only black and white???

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

If Sony hasn't changed it's site yet again today, try looking at the official specs HERE.

According to the spec sheet it does indeed have a mic in -- stereo mic in at that.

Interesting catch in that it SAYS there's no video or audio inputs, but there are video and audio outputs. Seeing as how it has FireWire in and out I don't see this as a deal breaker, but it may be for some. Again, I'd go and touch one first before purchase. I assume this is actually a typo and that it has the video and audio inputs and outputs via the goofy cable we all know and love as to not have it would be simply ridiculous.
quade -

Well, the official Sony web site provided says that the TRV19 doesn't have a LANC port...nor audio/video input.

...and it has only a black and white viewfinder. :S Plus the only way to change auto/manual focus is by opening the LCD screen and changing it there. (sigh)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

the official Sony web site provided says that the TRV19 doesn't have a LANC port.

No, it just fails to mention that it does.

...and it has only a black and white viewfinder.

Which -IS- true, but not a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. I've looked through a jillion B&W viewfinders in my day and it's certainly not a big deal. How often do you really use it for skydiving anyway?

Plus the only way to change auto/manual focus is by opening the LCD screen and changing it there.

I don't remember from when I looked at it, but it -may- actually be a plus if you think about it.
quade -