Voodoo

Lens for 10D

I am looking for 3 lenses for the 10D to use in the air and on the ground, also indoor.
Any have any experience with Sigma fisheye ?
And any Canon 24 or 25 fixed ?
And Canon 75-300 ?
Yes the price is a theme so it most be cheap lenses in the range $ 200 - 400 each.

the sigma 15mm FE works well with the D60, as does their 20mm AS... have not used the others... I use the sigma 50-500mm for alot of ground stuff too.

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

On my older Canon Rebel, I used a canon 28mm f2.8 lens and it seemed to match up well with the .6 wide angle on my video camera.
Because of the 1.6 FOV (Field of View) magnification factor on the 10D (and D60), I purchased a Canon 20mm f2.8 for about $400. (20mm x 1.6 = 32mm) Not quite as wide as what I'm used to but I think I can make it work.

Be careful about non Canon lenses and specifically (at least from my experience) Sigma.
My Sigma 28-70 f2.8 was not compatible with my new Canon 10D. Locked up the camera with an error 99 code. Called Sigma and they confirmed the incompatibility of this older lens. They said their newer model lenses would work. They offered me a $40 trade in for this older lens if I bought a new lens. I kept the old one for my old camera and bought a Canon 28-135 for my walk around lens. Another $400 or so.

A long time ago, I had a Sigma 28mm that I had to return because it wasn't 100% compatible with my Canon Rebel. It worked for the most part but would lock up the camera if I tried to continuous fire the camera with the remote shutter release switch that I used for freefall. The Canon lens I bought worked great.

As far as lenses for the ground, I can tell you what most pros take on shoots with them when they can only take 3 lenses. A 17-35, a fixed 50, and a 70-200. As for skydiving, these lenses plus maybe a fixed 20mm would be the ideal gear pack. If your not buying lenses with 2.8 aperatures, which your probably not since their around $1500 each, you can get a 70-300. I wouldn't recomend anything longer though, as the arpeture would be pretty small (around 6.3). Also, if you got a 70-200 2.8 lense (expensive, yes), but you could get a teleconverter and make it into a pretty cheap 340mm 3.4 lense.

I personally don't like off-brand lenses, I've put my canon lenses through hell and they stood up to anything. I hate sigma and a quantaray which broke (the focusing rings became stuck at various points) in 1-2 years of use. Whatever you get, throw a filter in front of it, especially for skydiving, replacing a filter is cheaper than the whole lense, and unless your making 16x20's you won't see a reduction in quality or clarity, and even then it is too small to really notice.

Thaks for all the reply so far.
I agree goin for the orig. Canon lens in the rather cheap segment but they dont have any fisheye, I only found Sigma.
Is anybody using fisheye or like the Diamond 0.3 for video ?
Any other experience or tips for lens setups ?

85% of the stuff on my site

http://www.danwayland.com

was shot with the Sigma 15mm fisheye for Canon autofocus. It's my favorite lens.

Basically, if you see barrel distortion, it was shot with the Sigma 15mm fisheye.
--
Dan Wayland
http://www.danwayland.com

With the old Canon digital cams, the CCD was actually smaller than a 35mm negative, so the effective focal length of a lens was actually longer than the same focal length on a film camera. Therefore, if you get advice that the XXmm lens will have the same FOV as your cam from someone shooting a film camera, you will actually get a smaller FOV from that lens.

Does anyone know if this applies specifically to the 10D? I don't want to mislead anyone, but I would be cautious about this.

BMcD...

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

The 60 and the 10 have the same CCD, I think. The one that's the same size as 35mm film is expensive, and available, but it's too big for me to wear on my head every weekend.

My new 10D with the 20mm lens is a 32mm on film, instead of the 28mm I'm used to.

It'll work. I might get a 14 down the road.

JP

since the image sensor and mount are the same on the 60 and the 10... the 15 works great on the 60... no vingetting at all, unless you leave the lens cap barrel on (which is the only way to put a prtective filter)... biggest thing to watch for is the lack of protection for the lens... like i said, the only way to put a UV filter on it is to leave the barrel on. If you want to use other filters for an effect, etc, you need to use gel type filters that mount at the back of the lens (the part that goes inside the camera body).

Josh
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

DiabloPilot uses one, very nice, a little fisheye-ish up close.

I've got the 20mm Canon lens and I love it. All the stuff except the swoopers was shot with it at the American Boogie and everywhere else. For the ground stuff I used my 28-200 Canon.

That lens cover on the Sigma is necessary until right until you get out, and that lens optic really seems vulnerable cause it sticks way out there. Plus, I've seen that lens cap exit the plane solo, and it's pretty big, like a little teacup. But because of that 1.6 multiplier, the 15 is really attractive, cause it's effectively a 24 on the camera.

Hey nice hybrid photos on your website!

Thanks for the info. I ordered a Sigma 15. I've already got a 28-105 from the good old days when i was shooting film of normal stuff. Anyone want to buy a Canon A2E body??? (whoops, not really an ad, more of a joke that i payed a grand for that camera a few years ago and now it's worth a few hundred :( )

pieces are being collected, i can't wait to get it all put together...

peace
http://www.exitshot.com