blair700

Flat Top Setup

I have a new Flat top pro, a Sony PC110, and a Canon IOS Lite. I would prefer to mount them both on the top, perhaps side by side. I have a nice carbon fiber box that I can slide my video camera in and out from the rear, but nothing as of yet for the still. I would like to hear from others jumping this helmet and learn more about how you have it setup. Positive/negative, just looking for some tips, I used a protec for the last 1.5 years.
Thanks in advance! Sup Dad....uu I mean Cajones!
;)

I have a flat top pro with a sony trv-8 and a canon 35mm still camera both on the top. The video camera is in a d-box and the still is attached to a bogen low-profile quick release. They fit fine. I'll try to remember to take a picture or two and post them in the next day or so.

Brother P.Fuego! Good to see you are putting a good helmet on your head.

You can do a side-by-side with those two cameras, but the c.g. is going to be very high.

I have done 4 cameras on my flat-top and opening is something to brace for. With the 110, you could mount the Canon on the front, and the 110 should be able to see over the top of it. This will lower the c.g. a bit, but also forward a great deal. You may like the forward c.g. even less.

There's no real way to know for sure, unless you can try it both ways. Try on El Presidente's with the side-by-side and DosXX's with the top/front, if you can. They probably won't fit your noggin' quite right, but you can get a feel for the way the weight sits on your neck. The other disadvantage to the side-by-side I'll mention is you may not always want to have your still mounted (if you're not using it - don't take it up!), and this can change how the helmet flies and feels considerably. When you get ready to go digital, you'll most likely take it on every jump.

You'll want to consider some quick releases - either the Bogen or the Stroboframe are quite common. At least one for your still. Again, both are on the dz, so have a look around.

Always glad to help out my children... Hope to see you at the Rodriguez Brothers Boogie, or some other object soon.

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Here are some caps of my set up which is similar to what you want to do.

I have a PC8 and EOS 500 top mounted, the PC8 using a Stroboframe and the EOS using a thumbscrew.

I have a Kenko .42 on the PC 8, and a 28mm on the EOS. I zoom the PC8 in slightly to remove the vignetting, and the 28mm is pretty close to this.

The EOS is operated by bite switch, and the PC8 has a Cameye 2. I have the Cameye switch inside the FTP and operate the camera directly, I am very happy with this set up as all I need is to see that the camera is switched on.

I don't have any problems with the C of G of the helmet, and find I hardly notice the weight.

One thing I did find a shock was the fit of the FTP.

I followed the baking instructions to the letter, and the helmet was comfortably tight.

The first time I jumped the helmet i took it off at 1000 ft, and found that at 13k I could hardly get it on (the pads expand as you climb).

I now keep the helmet on all the way and boy does is it uncomfortable. I am assured by another FTP owner that the liners break in eventually, and I have noticed that it is getting more comfy with each jump.

I hope this info and the pics help.

Blue ones.

Buzz

Ive also attached pics of the quick release and new bone release cover.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

FTP Bone Release.jpg

FTP Cutaway.jpg

FTP Full Front.jpg

FTP Front.jpg

FTP L Side.jpg

FTP R Side.jpg

FTP Rear.jpg

I have been jumping this helmet for about 1.5 years now.... I LOVE it!
I have a TRV-20 mounted dead center (this seems to be the most comfortable for me with opening shock) on the flat-top and a Nikon N90s mounted inverted on the front plate (although, this is a heavy option).
I also have a Nikon SB-26 speedlight mounted on the flat-top next to the TRV's D-box.

The only problems I tend to have with this setup is minor neck soreness from the weight of the Nikon and also due to the fact that I am a stubborn photographer that demands the quality that a Nikon will give me over any other camera.
:P

SG

THIS is exactly what I would like to do, only problem is my video camera ejects tapes from the bottom(PC110), so what's my best option after the stroboframe since that would make getting a tape out a pain in the ass.
THANK YOU for your input, and the great pics.
Blair

Buzz,

Can you tell me what model of Stroboframe quick release bracket you used to mount your PC8?
Was it a 300QRC?
Would it work with my PC1 the same as your PC8?
How high does it lift the camera above the platform?

By the way, thanks for posting the pics. Your setup looks great and is almost exactly what I would like to get set up for myself.

Thanks,