freeflyanvil

Canon D60 Remote set-up

Ok, I finally said, 'screw it' and decided to buy a D60. Does the D60 have a regular shutter release? Like, is it the standard canon jack, or is do you need to modify it. I already have a conceptus bite switch with the standard jack on the end... Is there anything else that I need?
Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."

I havent made the actual purchase yet, but I've been scoping ebay for the past week or so. It looks as though they're unoading them used for between 1200 - 1700 bucks - just for the body ofcourse. With the cash saved on from buying used, I can get a couple of OK lenses.
Vid
"stons fal, evrysing fals, but doesnt on purpos change its flite pas an positioning..."

"regular shutter release" . . . well, yes it does.
However, it does NOT have the 2.5mm socket you'll find on the the less expensive Canon series cameras like the Rebel cameras.
Whatcha gotta get for the Canon D60 and the new 10D is the RS-80N3. Yep, that'll set ya back about $60 bucks. Ya then cut it in half and solder on a 2.5mm socket and viola, you can then use it with the standard Conceptus tongue or bite switches we all know and love.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

http://www.adorama.com/skudooraid003925.tpl?sku=CARSAN3
Canon RA-N3 Remote Switch Adapter for EOS-1V/1VHS, EOS-3, EOS-D2000, EOS-D30, EOS-D60, EOS-1D, EOS-1Ds, EOS-10D
This looks like an adaptor that you can buy for $43 that will do the same thing without any cutting, wiring, or soldering.
I ordered this last week. It should be here in a day or two.
I've jumped with a connector in the middle of the wire for over 5 years without any trouble. I use a hand switch that runs through my sleeve and I wanted to be able to disconnect quickly from the helmet. I simply put a connector at the back of the helmet and ran the wire to the camera connector.
Works great.

This looks like an adaptor that you can buy for $43 that will do the same thing without any cutting, wiring, or soldering.

Well, that may be a less expensive solution to getting that all important plug for the D60 or 10D, but unfortunately, I still think you're going to have to do some cutting and soldering if you want to use it with the Conceptus products or your existing home made hand switch.
quade -

Unfortunately, that won't work with the Conceptus switches. The adapter that your refering to allows you to hook T3(older canon connection) swicthes to N3(D30, D60, 10D) cameras. The Conceptus swicthes don't use a T3 connector, they use the phono plug connectors found on most Canon mid-range cameras(Rebel, Elan). Nonetheless, you should be able to cut the adapter in half and splice the N3 connector to your Conceptus switch, or to a 2.5mm female connector if you want to make an appropriate adapter. Word has it, though, that Conceptus will soon be offering their swicthes with an N3 connector.

Word has it, though, that Conceptus will soon be offering their swicthes with an N3 connector.

Damn! I wonder where they're getting the plug from?

I tried to buy just the plug from Canon and they said it wasn't a part that anyone, including repair shops, could order.
quade -

You were right about the adapter cable. I thought the other end of the cable was different than it turned out to be.
Looks like I'm going to be doing some cutting and soldering.
I think that there will be three wires inside of the cable after it is cut. Do you know which wires should be wired to which side of the switch?
My guess is that one of the wires is a ground wire and if you close that wire with one of the other two, then that will activate the autofocus. If you close it with the other wire, you will activate the shutter. But I'm not sure how to determine which is what.
Also, I don't think I need to remote activate the autofocus remotely for skydive photography. I've always used manual focus in the past.
From what I've been reading though, the AI Servo mode setting of the autofocus on the 10D sounds like it would be interesting to try out. I don't know if this setting exists on the D60 or not. Any one have any ideas about auto/manual focus use for skydiving photos?

I believe it was the red and white wires that you needed to wire in for the trigger switch, but I can't say for certain from memory. In any case, it's entirely possble that the color scheme isn't the same and it's probably a good idea to hook the plug into the camera and just try out the different combinations to be certain. Testing shouldn't cause any damage as long as you're only connecting the wires and not putting in any voltage.
Autofocus on the D60 kinda sucks and is too slow for sports applications (in my opinion). I've heard that this is better on the 10D, but I haven't played with it, so you're on your own there.
quade -