Spills

My canopy conundrum.

My current body weight is 158.
I currently have 45 jumps. I am currently jumping a Sabre 1 170 with a wing loading of 1.08. I ordered a rig built to fit a Triathlon 160 (tight) so that way I could get a good life time out of it. I was fighting chronic fatigue syndrome for about two years and went from normal weight of 145 to 180 in 6 months. The doctor finally figured out the right combo of meds and I have lost 14lbs since December 20th.

So when I ordered my rig and canopy I tried to estimate my weight for when my gear was delivered. I also ordered a triathlon because I heard it was a docile canopy and good for newer jumpers. I am comfortable jumping the saber at the current wing loading. I haven’t landed off and have stood up every landing except my crosswind (for b license maneuvers) landing when I chose to PLF. As far as distance; 3 ft, 20ft, and 40ft not including the x-wind(according to my logbook). And I'm not saying I have mastered it by any means but I don't feal uncomfortable.

My home DZ has lots of outs (if that is even relevant) and surrounded on all sides by fields. And I’ve chosen to land off before when I first down sized from the Manta 288 to Fury 220.

I am going to Eloy for 7 days and plan on jumping 20-30 times. I should have roughly 80 jumps by the time my new rig arrives and will be dropping from a Sabre 170 to the Triathlon 160. I will likely be 5 lbs lighter by then but if not my wing loading would be 1.14. Is the jump from a wing loading of 1.08 to 1.14 a very noticeable one? Will the difference in 9 cell to a 7 cell change much either? From what I have read, the triathlon has less forward speed and sinks in much more.

I can also borrow the rig I'm using for as long as I need for free so thats not an issue.

Thoughts?

Edited to clarify some stuff

Eloy is a little faster than PA probably. I got licensed on Long Island, NY and Florida and Eloy always seems like there's zero wind and the air is thinner and warmer.

There are tons of outs...it's basically one big out if you're landing on the alternate grass section (closer to tunnel).

I think the 1.14 + the thin/warm air with less predictable headwind will feel pretty quick, yes.

Jeff

also know that 1st down sets the pattern. I don't believe there is any signage indicating this so when on my 2nd jump over the holiday boogie I kept the same pattern on my first I was accosted by people freaking out that I stuck with the first pattern I flew. I think 2 people actually cried and went home (though I was nowhere near anyone in the air, landing in the alternate field).

I looked around after that and still saw no signs of this rule other than that it's the rule.

Having jumped at deland, zhills and blue sky ranch dozens of times, which is more like a free for all when it comes to patterns, it was very strange. Stay heads up.

Jeff

I think the 1.14 + the thin/warm air with less predictable headwind will feel pretty quick, yes.

Jeff

NO,NO. I won't be jumping the new canopy at eloy. I won't have the new rig for atleast 3 weeks. So I should get another 20-40 jumps in on the Sabre at 1.08:1

I also wouldn't try downsizing at a bigger DZ than I'm used to. I'll save that for my Cessna DZ and do a hop and pop so I'm the only one in the air.

I have heard about the landing patern being set by the first one down on a Skydive Radio interview. They said if the first one down sets X-wind landing then everyone will be doing a X-wind landing.

I have been studing the arials though and I can't seem to spot the windsock.

When you check in they will give you a very thorough briefing. Beyond that though, any of the staff (assuming they are not in the middle of something) will happily answer any questions or clarify things to help you make a safe skydive. If they can't, they will find someone who can. Eloy is a well oiled machine and they work hard to keep it that way.

Have fun!

Sorry for the off topic, but (and I don;t mean to bash, so please don't take it like that)

I don't believe there is any signage indicating this

The DZ has a very thorough briefing when you sign in at Eloy. I'm 99% convinced this was explained during your briefing, maybe you didn't catch it. This being said, I'll pass on the idea of writing it somewhere since it appears the 1/1 briefing isnt enough.

I think 2 people actually cried and went home

The last few fatalities at Eloy (a few years ago now) were landing collisions/botched avoidances (the last 4 I can think of actually). A lot more people cried.

though I was nowhere near anyone in the air

We had a very close call about a year (maybe 2 now?) ago with 2 very experienced (and I mean world class experienced, not just us hacks with a few thousand jumps) where one thought he was nowhere near anyone. They were the only 2 people in the air (film stunt). He aborted his landing 1/2 way through having though he was all alone in the pattern, when he realized he was about to collide with the other jumper. Please, with fucking sugar on top, never think you are nowhere near anyone.

Back to topic for the OP:

We (on here) don't know your canopy skills, so its close to impossible to tell yo if you will be OK or not. But also take this into account: Eloy is close to 2000 feet ASL. Expect your canopy to fly like it was 1 size smaller if you normally jump at or near sea level.
Remster

I have heard about the landing patern being set by the first one down on a Skydive Radio interview. They said if the first one down sets X-wind landing then everyone will be doing a X-wind landing.

Eloy has very specific rules for each of the landing areas. The good news is that if you don't like the landing direction set in the main landing area, you always have the option to go to the alternate landing area (and with your jump numbers, I'd strongly recommend the alternate as much as possible - depending on how many folks are around, you may have it mostly to yourself). Heck, when I visit, especially during a busy time, I'd say 80%+ of my landings are in the alternate. And if you don't like either landing area's direction, you've got miles and miles of desert, most of which is wiiiide open.

The folks at Eloy will give you a thorough briefing when you get there. If for some reason they don't offer, ASK! Then spend some time wandering around and familiarizing yourself with the landmarks.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Remster,

Cool - yeah maybe I was briefed the year prior, but when I reg'd since I had been there before I guess it wasn't reviewed.

It would be a good sign under the waiting area before you get on the truck. Right by the no s-turns graphic.

Jeff