danweits

Firewire port problem

I have a laptop with a small (4pin) firewire port, when I connect my pc-115 to it, nothing happens as if nothing is connected and the coputer doesn't detect the DV device. I was told that there is a problem connecting the DV device (which has the small firewrire port) to a firewire port that is also small.

anyone had this problem too ? anyone has a solution ?

10x,

Dan.

What OS are you using? Have you tried connecting another firewire device to see if it works? Both my camera and PC's firewire ports are 4 pin and I have no problems. You might try looking for a looking for an updated 1394 driver. You can also try reinstalling the driver. Delete the driver. In Windows go to device manager, expand the 1394 section and right click on the controller and select uninstall. Now reboot and the system should re-detect your port and install the driver. There are others that frequent this forum that may be able to give better advice, but reinstalling the device driver has worked for me in the past when I had problems with hardware that quit functioning.

Make sure you have the camera on "VCR" (no camera), and the plugs are seated well.

Check your Device Manager, also, and make sure there's an OHCI firewire in there, somewhere.

I read about an onboard firewire Sony that came with the Firewire disabled in the BIOS (not "normal"). Are you using a PC-card, or built-in firewire?

What model laptop/OS are you using? What software are you depending on to detect the device?

The laws of physics are strictly enforced.

Hi,
I have a Fujitsu-siemens, Amd 1800 with 256mb RDRAM with bulit-in motherboard firewire port, the laptop is NEW (got it yesterday...) anyway, I tried everything! I put it on VCR mode, I restarted the computer (running XP home btw) and nothing happens, the OS refuses to detect the DV camera, on "device manager" at the hardware properties I can see that the OS recognizes the firewrire card (it says: "via OHCI 1394 ..." bla bla bla") and it seems to be well installed, I even disabled it, deleted it from the device manger, rebooted, the OS found the card but not the camera. it seems that the OS cannot connect with the camera. I tried two video edting software (Premiere and Pinnacle studio) and they'r both solutionless.

Is there any source for updated drivers?

the copmuter is brand new, I don't see any reason why it souldn't work.

I didn't try any other DV devices or any other 1394 devices (coz I don't have any...)

please help.....

thanks,
Dan.