12bhi

Gear Question

Could someone please tell me the exact name
for the fabric loops that the medium and small ring
pass through on the three ring release are called?
Also,I would like to know an estimated cost for
replacing them....Thanks for the help.:)Jason

The patent refers to the loop that holds the medium ring as "attaching means 16" and the loop that holds the small ring as "attaching means 17" (the numbers refer to labels on a diagram). After literally minutes of research, that is the best answer that I can come up with. The patent is available here for your viewing pleasure (as an aside, the USPTO's website kicks ass).

I'm only a wannabe rigger so take this with a grain of salt, but if I found that my risers needed the repairs that you are asking about, I would just buy new ones.

Could someone please tell me the exact name
for the fabric loops that the medium and small ring
pass through on the three ring release are called?

The exact name for the fabric loop that the medium ring passes through is "riser."

A front and rear riser are constructed from a continuous length of nylon strap (webbing), from the connector link where the front suspension lines are attached, down around the medium ring, and back up again to the connector link where the rear suspension lines are attached. Replacing the fabric loop around the middle ring means replacing the riser -- just buy new ones.

I don't know a name for the fabric loop the small ring is attached to. Replacing this loop usually requires removing the grommet and a lot of other stitching. That's possible, but if there's damage to the loop, there's probably damage elsewhere on the riser as well. Buy new.

Mark

:)Replacing the loop(s) requires the removal of the confluence wrap and the zig-zag or bartack stitching that secures the loop to the risers.(Refer to a service bulletin from Rigging Innovations on missing stitching) This is not something to be taken lightly! The work should be done by a qualified rigger or the mfg. if implied in their manual. New risers will cost anywhere from $60.- to $120.-. If the loops are worn due to normal use, there is a good chance that your risers are worn in general. Replace the risers. It does however occur that the loops get damaged prematurely, mainly from snagging or bad packing habits, where the rig gets dragged while stowing the lines on your D-bag. In that case get a packing mat for future preventive maintenance as well. The repair you are asking about should cost about $40.-(excl. shipping & handling).;)Ziggy

yeah, I'd just spring for new risers. If there's wear at the 3-rings, there's probably wear someplace else too. For 100 buck you can get the peace of mind of knowing you're not going to have a riser failure which leads to a cutaway which leads to a lost main which costs a grand to replace.